Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating low carb in pregnancy produces fatter kids.... page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Eating low carb in pregnancy produces fatter kids....

Wow...

As ever, I do wonder about correlation vs causation here. Why were those women eating low carb? Could it be because they themselves have a history of fat accumulation, which they passed on to their kids?

Do Low-Carb Diets During Pregnancy Lead to Fatter Kids? | 80beats | Discover Magazine
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    women are in a ketogenic state during pregnancy regardless arent they? i think babies should be big, not fat but chubby and as they grow they become normal. i think women prolly need more carbs during pregnancy

but regardless, a primal diet during pregnancy causing fatkids, i call bullsh*t

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    but regardless, a primal diet during pregnancy causing fatkids, i call bullsh*t
    +1 Doesn't make sense.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Yes, chubby and then using that chubbiness to fuel upward growth and brain development seems optimal.

Not sure about the theory being crap though...it does seem like a reasonable adaptive mechanism for humans...if there's a low carb environment, tinker with the genes so offspring can gain weight more easily?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Yes, chubby and then using that chubbiness to fuel upward growth and brain development seems optimal.

Not sure about the theory being crap though...it does seem like a reasonable adaptive mechanism for humans...if there's a low carb environment, tinker with the genes so offspring can gain weight more easily?
    +1

Sally Fallon mentions this.

ooohh i saw this on facebook the other day, and i called bullshit too! but i also stated that maybe the mothers in the study thought all carbs were bad...including the healthy ones (like veggies) because i know people who take on the low carb lifestyle a little too far...and they arent getting enough healthy fats or veggies! but i think this is another study to try and scare pregnant women out of a healthier lifestyle!
    I am very pregnant 34 weeks to be exact, and i plan on making the switch within the next 2 week s, once we move into our own place! im very very excited! my last pregnancy i made nothing but excuses (it really wasnt that long ago) and this time im just ready to enjoy the full benefits of health!
    I am the creator of my reality

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    They don't define low-carb here. There are many ways to low-carb it, as I discovered accidentally while browsing the comments on a low-carb recipe. Wow. Fake maple syrup with no carbs? What the heckity heck is that?

Also, small sample size. Also, weird sideways testing methods, like the methylation to determine epigenetic switch-ups? That's not very direct in my view. We don't know enough about this stuff to be making that sort of correlation into causation at this point.

Anecdotally, I wasn't Primal during pregnancy, but my daughter is 20mo and in the 5%ile for weight and 75%ile for height. My doctor quizzed me about what we feed her and I'm not sure she believed me about all the bacon, eggs, full fat yogurt, cheese, meat, and nuts. I laughed inwardly about it because all those things should ostensibly cause her to be THIN. Which is obviously not my goal at this stage of her game, or ever for that matter. I don't worry about it because she is tracking my development almost exactly at this point. So definitely something genetic going on.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    I have a theory:
    I know that the diet of the mother during pregnancy can alter the child's metabolism, as it more or less lets them know what nutrition they can expect from the environment they'll be born into, and the metabolism adapts somewhat to increase chances of survival. (fact)

therefore, my theory: the mothers' low-carb diet makes children more carb-sensitive, and as they are born into what is in fact a 'high carb environment,' if they are fed cheerios and fruit roll ups and healthy whole grains, they are more likely to be store that as fat, since the metabolism was created to face a carb-scarce environment. [though it would be interesting to see what the 'low-carb' mothers were eating--pepperoni sticks and peanuts, or leafy greens and meat]

I don't think it's necessarily a reason for concern for Primal mothers, because 1) Primal/Paleo is 'carb agnostic,' not necessarily low carb, and 2) Primal momma presumably equals Primal kiddos, therefore even if kids were more likely to get fat on high-carb food, they wouldn't be eating that junk anyway, so it wouldn't matter.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

primalfamily is offline Member
    we have 2 boys, 18 month apart. during first one, wife was almost vegetarian, while she was eating lot of meat on the second kid.(not primal either way or low carb) second kid was definitely chubby from get go. but now, they are both lean young boys. anything beyond that, it is upto genetics. older kid is tall, while younger kid is average.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And there is more than one source right now suggesting that too many carbs and/or an overweight mom causes insulin resistance (and fat kids). Taubes mentions it but he didn't just make it up.

So which is it?

If the theory in the OP is correct, hunter gatherer societies that don't eat a lot of carbs would have fat kids. I don't think they do.

To test the opposite theory, I'll do a study at the Wal Mart of overweight families with small, overweight kids, and see if they have low-carb contents in the shopping cart. What do you think I'll find? Meat and veggies, or milk, bread, Milky Ways and Cap'N Crunch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast