Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just How Many Eggs CAN I Eat Per Day? page

Gary-A is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I know there are similar posts about this, but I wanted to toss out my own story on the forums and see what advice I could get (First post, btw! Yay me!).

I switched Primal about a year ago, but I feel like I haven't quite got ON the wagon. Last year was senior year of college, so damned if I could get into a regular gym schedule. Eating was good though, seeing as the cafeteria was a great help. When I moved back home it was the opposite. Gym right down the street, but now I was living with my family and all their carb-heavy, CW-laden mindset. On top of it all, on the few food items that I actually eat, they never buy organic. Obviously, it's more expensive to feed a family of 4 on organic, free range meat, unprocessed dairy, and vegetables that aren't potatoes.

Cutting to the chase, I have started to take fish oil daily, but I still feel like I'm only getting 'half' the benefit of the PB. I'm halfway through P90X (which i'm doing mainly because I started a new job and didn't feel like thinking of a real workout plan), but now I'm eating the same 5 things every day.

Onto the title. I'm just a bit nervous about eating the amount of (normal, cage-fed) eggs and (normal, grain-fed) steak and (normal, hormone'd) chicken that I want to on the PB, especially wanting to gain some muscle. I'm not one to take chances with my health, and it took a lot to break my CW mind. Now that I have, I want to jump into it full-force, but I wonder if simply dealing with it and just eating MORE of the everyday foods is going to be detrimental to my health because of the hormones, grain-fed, yadda yadda.

On another note, all of my great-grandparents lived into their 90s and my grandparents are still alive. I'm thinking I've got good genes on my side. I just need a bit of encouragement from people who don't turn around every other day and tell me that "your body can't survive on so little carbs." and "you should get your cholesterol tested." Which I should. I want to get a blood test just to see where I stand.

Any thoughts from the community?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Eat all you want. Your body will tell you - if ever - you are eating too many eggs or anything else.

I know of a woman who went through some tough times. She told my mother that all she ate were eggs. Now, I don't know if that's hyperbole, and I'm guessing she did the break room carb snacks at her PT bank job. But I'm confident they were a huge part of her diet.

BTW, some conventional grocers like Publix carry a "No hormones, all 'natural'" line of meats. Not much more expensive that conventional, generally. We presume here, I think, that lamb, goat, and buffalo are grass fed all the way.

Acmebike is offline Member

I would suggest reading alot on just what a cholesterol profile means. And if you bother to have the test done, be certain to get an NMR Lipoprofile (or the like) that gives MEASURED particle counts and type! The standard lipid panel is not a very good indicator of what is going on. In fact, cholesterol is not a very good indicator. C-Reactive Protein, HbA1C, and other markers are good to know, too.

Read, read, read. It takes some kicking around on the internet but a few good resources (and right here on MDA you can search some excellent reviews of lipid panels).

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

http://freetheanimal.com/2009/05/reader-feedback-doctors-cholesterol.html

http://www.thincs.org/

There is sooo much out there!

Get yourself the best sourced eggs you can, and cook them up in the best butter you can find!

Geoff is offline Member

OtB - Be careful, a quick web search revealed some "natural grain-finished" bison and elk and - GASP - references to grain-fed lamb.

http://www.duffmeats.com/store.php/categories

http://www.sheep101.info/labeledlamb.html

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

GEOFF! Stop ruining my beliefs!

Oh, Lord, just when you think it's safe to visit the meat case.....

"Natural grain fed"...WTF?...there is unnatural grains out there? Synthetic? As we know, it sure isn't natural for the animals to eat grains.

Geoff is offline Member

Perhaps "Natural grain fed" is intended to contrast with, oh, say, foie gras production or such other decidedly unnatural means of feeding grain.

Don't let it freak you out - it's just another sign that you need always to be vigilant. CW will never pass up a chance to make a buck off of the latest "health craze." If you're wondering about the meat, ask the butcher. If (s)he can't tell you and won't find out, find a new place to shop.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

You can eat a LOT of eggs. My husband and I buy 3-4 dozen eggs every week, and it's just the two of us. I'm sure we could eat more if we wanted to with no problems.

And at one time my sister-in-law and her husband were struggling financially (guess that happens when you elope at 18, move away, and get pregnant ASAP) and they basically lived on eggs for a while.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Eggs are not the nutritional deviants they were made out to be 20+ years ago. I eat 3 per day at least. Sometimes up to 10 if I decide to have a 'Breakfast' dinner. The only time I ever feel crappy after eating eggs is if I have grains with it - and it's not the eggs' fault.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

The grain-finished method is horrible. They feed the cows grass for so long, and then within the last three weeks or 30 days (I think) start feeding it grains, totally eliminating any good done before.

If your lucky enough to live in Cali, you can order from www.organicpastures.com That has by-far the best raw dairy products.

Also http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok delivers grass-fed beef and other products

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

You guys totally missed the point of his question. He obviously can't afford grass-fed meats, so why tell him to do so?

And he's not worried about cholesterol in eggs. Jeez, read his post.

Anyways, I have the same question as him, so I'm interested.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast