Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP - Why am I gaining weight? page

jmouser is offline Junior Member

HELP - Why am I gaining weight?

I have been a chronic cardio-er since grade school. I ran cross crountry from then through college. After having 2 babies I continued to fun "fun runs" 5k-10ks here and there. I paid not much attention to what I ate. I know whats healthy; whats not (degree emphasis on conventional wisdom nutrition) and I have an addiction to Dr. Pepper and in love with BREAD of all kinds. I have never had a weight issue, staying around 115lbs (im about 5'2) I started Primal because I want to consume more healthy stuff. I have been eating a Big A salad everyday for lunch skipping breakfast usually but do have coffee with heavy cream and a tsp of sugar or having a boiled egg, then some kind of meat with veggies for dinner. I have way cut back the dr pepper almost completely and have kicked my sweet tooth for the most part (huge chocolate/donut/brownie/cookie eater) and only indulge in 80% dark chocolate chips if Im dying! Then I might snack on almonds, blueberries and thats it almost completely cut out oats/grain wheat! WHY AM I GAINING WEIGHT? Today I weigh 124 at 5'2! I have been doing the WOW and sprinting once a week. I play everyday with my 2 sons, catch, tag, hide and go seek, jump on the trampoline, we are VERY active take leisure walks almost everyday! I have started doing kettle bell work outs again 1-2 times a week too. I think some might be muscle gain but Im not convinced. Could I be gaining muscle weight? What am I doing wrong?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been doing this?

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Have you taken measurements?

Are you eating enough fat? or enough in general -are you listening to hunger cues and eating accordingly?
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

I have been doing this since 3/30/11. A little over 3 weeks....also I have felt pretty bloated and fought constipation...

I eat an avacado almost everyday, use olive oil, and cook my veggies in butter, eggs.....thats probably all the fat. I have not taken measurments, my clothes are fiting about the same. I have always been a big eater, and have been able to eat a ton.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    How frequently were you weighing before making your diet changes?

I think people would be amazed at how their weight may fluxuate, or stay steady while they are not dieting.

Think about it... If you were to pack on 100 pounds over two years, it sounds like a lot of weight to gain. But, it's "just" about 4 pounds a month. And if you were watching the scale the whole time during those two months, you would probably see months in which you didn't gain weight... or even LOST weight, even if you were eating all the junk you could hold.

But, if we are not "watching" our weight, we never see that. And we are often amazed when we do start "watching" it that the scale does not behave quite the way we might predict.

That makes a lot of sense Waskydiver........I hardly ever weighed myself before...I just did today to see if things were changing now that I am eating/working out differently. I was kinda hoping I went down some though. Doesnt 124 sound a little heavy for 5'2?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    If your clothes are fitting the same and you like how you look, it seems like the number on the scale shouldn't matter that much, no?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Weight is truly irrelevant, unless you are a jockey or a competitive wrestler/bodybuilder, etc.

How do your clothes fit?

How do you feel?

Do you look good naked?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honestly....bloated, constipated but I do have more energy! My clothes fit the same, not much change there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast