Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about this 80/20 business... page

gregjames is offline Member

Questions about this 80/20 business...

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys,

I've been eating primally for 12 days now and it's going great. I've lost a sh** load of weight. I'm now at the lowest weight I've ever been for ages.

I have some questions though, if my family are getting Chinese take out am I best to not eat the rice, to limit damage? and I've been bought an Easter Egg and am scared to eat it - it's white chocolate.

What is 80 / 20 and does this mean I can have a treat now and again?

Or does it just mean I can eat dairy, or have a glass of red wine and three squares of dark chocolate now and again?

I hope someone replies.
    Thanks

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjames View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been eating primally for 12 days now and it's going great. I've lost a sh** load of weight. I'm now at the lowest weight I've ever been for ages.

I have some questions though, if my family are getting Chinese take out am I best to not eat the rice, to limit damage? and I've been bought an Easter Egg and am scared to eat it - it's white chocolate.

What is 80 / 20 and does this mean I can have a treat now and again?

Or does it just mean I can eat dairy, or have a glass of red wine and three squares of dark chocolate now and again?
    I hope someone replies.
    Thanks
    IMHO yes, once in awhile. Also dairy is okay if you have no health issues with dairy, preferably raw or organic pasteurized, try to avoid ultra-pasteurized. Others may answer differently. You could include rice in the 20%. It is one of the grains that is sort of allowable, the last time we had Chinese food I ate a little rice.

read the following:
    The Primal Blueprint 80/20 Principle Revisited | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by Lynna; 04-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I think 80/20 means that if you are out for dinner in a restaurant and a waiter brings some rolls to the table... and you can't resist, you have one. And then you forget about it, and move one without dwelling on the idea of "cheating". It allows for "life" to be the priority over food obsessions.

For me, personally - I think its easier to not even think about 80/20. I've read and heard people saying, "well, I'm going to keep diet soda in my diet or I just can't give up (fill in the blank), that's my 20%". I think it gives people an excuse to hang on to their old habits and food issues. So, for me - the 20% is best thought of as the occassional primal indulgence and the lack of guilt if I am in a situation where I just "feel" like eating a piece of cake at a birthday party, or having ice cream with my kids. These things happen so very rarely for me, its better to just avoid attaching any guilt to them then to dwell....

Make sense? So, rather than "planned cheats" the 80/20 is just about letting life happen...
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your goals and your health. For me, I can't "cheat" with anything grainy or I get sick. It's best for me to eat as clean as possible so I really don't do the 80/20 thing. If your health isn't a factor and your goal isn't to lose weight, then having a "20" should be fine.

The problem becomes when someon wants to lose weight. Then, I think the 20 gets in the way of that goal.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    I am very strict most of the time

Today I went out with the Girls for Lunch, everyone is off for Good Friday. I had some brown rice and cashew chicken. I wolfed down my eggroll. It was good, felt the belly rumbles after eating, but hey.... you have to live life once in a while. I also don't have alot of fat to lose anymore, just some lingering belly fat that takes eternity to go away. I will fast tomorrow and run sprints. It's all good.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If I step off the path on a special occasions, I don't sweat it. A little Easter candy, fine. I had some ice cream at my nephew's birthday. I'm just not going to worry about those things. Saturday, however, is not a special occasion. It comes around every week. Eating out is not a rare treat for most of us. It's something I do at least once per week. So I do try to stay as primal as I can.

How often you step off the path and with what is really individual. Are you trying to heal health issues? Lose weight? I have an autoimmune issue. Wheat makes me swell up fast, so cheating with bread or cakes is just not worth it to me. Chinese food would be right out due to the soy sauce. I might have that occasional ice cream, but for someone with a dairy issue, that would set them back from their health goals way more than it would for me.

If you don't have autoimmune stuff or other issues and you're just trying to reduce a bit, then I'd look at how attractive the non-primal food was and compare it to the dietary effect. I do get things like Indian or Thai which are usually served with rice. If we're doing takeout, I just make some cauli rice or spaghetti squash as a base to balance out the sauce the way the rice usually does. It's yummy. The rice isn't such a huge deal to me that it's worth all the extra carbs and the insulin spike. If I'm going to eat something unhealthy, it better be freakin awesome.

Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate them.

I'm off to read that link that Lynna posted now. I now know what you mean about the whole 'I'm not excluding this and that from the diet that'll be my 20' and 'I'll have a day off on Saturdays'. Since I started Primal I've done it to perfection. Not one single 20. So I guess if I let go once in a while I should be ok.

I've cut dairy completely from my diet due to it causing a lot of phlegm / cataarh in my throat, but apart from that no diseases. My body in general doesn't really agree with carbs, bloating and excess weight being the result of years of them.

I'm glad they're not part of me any more!

Thanks again

beaver is offline Senior Member
    here let me help you

RLTW

Here let me confuse you you mean?

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    With the 80/20, I think the idea is: life happens, sometimes you have chocolate, or wine, or Easter candy, or some food that isn't perfectly Primal. But life goes on, and you keep on eating Primal, and don't freak out or beat yourself up over it. You aim for perfect Primal eating, but life's not perfect--don't obsess, and don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. (What 80/20 is not, I think, is planning on eating a hunk of cake, or a pizza, or a pack of twinkies once a week, and saying, "It's OK! It's my 20 percent!!!"--because that's missing the point. Primal is a way of life, not a diet, and you don't cheat on a way of life)

(just my take on it)
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast