Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Challenge Primal Journal: The quest for 200 page

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member

30 Day Challenge Primal Journal: The quest for 200

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

I am starting a journal to post (hopefully) daily updates on how I am doing over the next 30 days as I try to lose 11 pounds and hit the 200 pound mark for the first time in about 20 years. My success story for losing 70 pounds so far was just posted today (I Can Only Show You the Door | Mark's Daily Apple) and I thought it would be good to start another 30 day challenge.

This challenge is just a personal challenge to myself. I make no excuses, no exceptions, no 'it's just one bite', no 'its only one meal', nothing. For 30 days I stick to a simple menu that consists of various proteins ( my favorites are ground hamburger, ground turkey, chicken breasts, fish, chicken wings, bacon, eggs, etc), a lot of vegetables (large salads, raw vegetables, steamed vegetables, etc) and some healthy fats mostly from coconut oil and almond milk.

I've done three 30-day challenges over the last 6 months or so and have had very good results. The first time I lost about 15 pounds, the second time I lost 14 pounds, and the third time I lost 20 pounds. Now that I am going for the last third of my weight loss, I am setting a realistic goal of 11 pounds, which would take me from 211 to 200. Even that might be a bit ambitious. Really the success of my challenge is to go the full 30 days without going off plan. Whatever my weight ends up being will be fine.

One thing I am gonig to do that's new for this challenge will be incorporating intermittent fasting. I've done this unconsciously by skipping meals over the last several months when I wasn't hungry, even if I had brought food. Similar to the Lean Saloon or Leangains, I am choosing an eating window between 3pm and 9pm. I'll eat two good sized meals and maybe a little in between if I feel the need to. I've already been doing this for a few weeks and I am adapted where I do not feel hungry until its close to 3pm.

I am also doing a couch-to-5k program to get out and walk/jog more. This starts up this Tuesday, although I've already been getting out to walk or do intervals of walking/jogging over my lunch break the last few weeks.

So, we'll see how it goes. It helps to be accountable somewhere so this journal should serve that purpose. Thanks for viewing and let me know if you have any questions or comments. =)
    Last edited by Kvalhion; 04-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Contrats to you. I read today's Friday Success Story and saw your photos. I'm surprised that you think you still need to lose! I don't say that to be contrary - but mean it as a compliment.

Thanks! The scale still estimates my body fat % at 22%, and at 211 I'd like to get down in the 180s and see how I feel. Ultimately I'd like to get into some strength training and get to about 10% body fat. Lofty goals, but I know I can get there with continued dedication! Thanks for the compliment!

10-11-10

2-18-11

6-23-11

belinda is offline Senior Member
    It was great to read your story. I'm sure you'll meet this goal, as you've met your others!

So far so good. Survived another day at the beach where we were there for about 8 hours. The only foods I had brought was a grapefruit and an apple. So I ended up doing about a 22 hour fast before making some ground turkey and a salad, then later some steak and brocoli.

Today is a buffet where I'll be sticking to protein and salad. The funny thing is that it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice, especially at the end of the day knowing I didn't eat anything that is going to set me back.

Easter brunch went really well. It was fun to get dressed up with the kids and see family. Food wise I stuck to some scrambled eggs, bacon, a couple of sausage links, some shrimp cocktail and a little bit of fresh fruit. I did have a glass of red wine which I figure isn't too big of a deal. We played around on the beach again during the day and had fun. Here's a pic taken today with my kids.

10-11-10

2-18-11

6-23-11

Another day down! Doing an intermittent fast at work is pretty easy. Work keeps me busy and I drink some cold water in the morning. I'll have a cup of coffee with liquid stevia (toffee flavored) around 10 am or so, and then I am good until 3pm when my 18 hours are up. I'll feel a bit hungry around 1pm on but its nothing I can't bear.

Today I had some roasted turkey that I got from the grocery store pre-cooked. It was awesome! I ate maybe half of it along with a green pepper. After that I went out and played soccer for an hour, and now towards the end of the eating window I am having a salad with cucumber, yellow pepper, jalapenos and topped with shrimp. The only bad thing I use is an organic salad dressing.. I've seen threads of people making their own salad dressing so I might try that in the near future.

Tomorrow I start a Couch to 5k program with a friend of mine. I've already started the run/walk intervals on my own and will eventually work up to a 5k. I like jogging now that I am not as heavy as I was and my friend is teaching me the 'Chi Running' form so that I minimize impact.

Three days down, only 27 to go.

Day four went well. I am sticking with the 16 hour intermittent fasting and have had pretty good results so far. After a month of up and downs, I am reaching new lows (in regards to weight!) as I head towards the 200 mark.

Yesterday I finished off the roasted turkey with a red pepper for my 3pm meal. Around 9pm I made a pound of hamburger and mixed it with a bag of steamed brocoli. I typically do not eat the entire thing in one sitting however I was hungry and polished it off. Today I am down another half pound, making the progress thus far 3 1/2 pounds since starting five days ago. Weight tends to fluctuate day to day, however the trend seems to be moving downward again.

I also did the first Couch-to-5k run with 2 minute jog / 1 minute walk intervals for about 45 minutes including the 5 minute warm up and warm down. It was another beautiful day here in San Diego on the beach which is always nice for exercise.

Thirty days isn't much of a sacrifice! Twenty five days and counting!

Nothing too exciting to report today. I am about to go on another walk/run as part of the 'Couch to 5k' program. I had a few small glasses of wine at a meetup event last night and ended up having to grab some bunless burgers on my way home as my evening meal. Not ideal, but I am sticking to the 30 day challenge thus far!

10-11-10

2-18-11

6-23-11

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Weekend went pretty well! The weekends for me are always a bit more tough as I am with the kids all weekend and not preoccupied with work. On Saturday I didn't start eating until after 3pm. We were at the beach again and I had a grapefruit and then some buffalo wings. That night I had some hamburger mixed in with broccoli for dinner.

On Sunday I made some eggs fried in butter for the kids and had some as well, so I took a break from the intermittent fasting for the day. I didn't really have regular meals, and in the evening I had some grilled chicken burgers with grilled vegetables that were very good.

Overall I am down three pounds from a week ago, so things are going well. I am continuing to progress on the couch to 5k program (week 4 of 9) which is good exercise. I'd like to start hitting the kettlebells again to get some heavy lifting so hopefully I will be motivated to do that over the next few days. Tonight is soccer to get my sprinting requirements met.

This is all pretty easy to do once you commit to it! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast