Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN Reports - Four Easy Steps To Losing Weight - SHE LOST 232 lbs! page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Question CNN Reports - Four Easy Steps To Losing Weight - SHE LOST 232 lbs!

Primal Fuel
    She used 4 easy tips to lose weight - CNN.com

Thoughts?

My thought is why can't MDA get this kinda attention... I've lost nearly 80 lbs on MDA and i know if we combined all the weight lost between us all it'd be MAJOR!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    pretty incredible story (this kind of story is very rare). i'm curious what her diet was like before she made these changes. (although it's pretty clear she had some kind of weight disregulation from an early age, and her mother does too, and i'm guessing a lot of it was due to the unhealthy SAD)

eating a certain weighed amount of food every 3 hours sounds miserable. it's interesting that the doctor's note included 'don't tell anyone what you're doing,' i think there is a lot of truth to that. the more you 'preach' the more you make yourself accountable to others, the more you put yourself in this 'diet' mentality, rather than 'lifestyle change' mentality. and other people, whether consciously or not, will try to sabotage you, because people hate it when other people try to improve their lives somehow (especially when it comes to diet)

also, 'don't drink sugary drinks' seems obvious to me, but i suppose if you grew up drinking soda instead of water with your meals it becomes a habit and you really do need to make a conscious decision wrt that.

although they don't mention the details of her diet, based on what little they do say, i don't think it sounds healthy... it seems more focused on low-cal and low-fat rather than 'high-nutrition/real food' (yeah it mentions fruit but not what the bulk of her calories are coming from)
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-23-2011 at 08:28 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    First off, good for her, even if her weight loss methods weren’t all that great, it’s still a fantastic job.

1. Eat 8 ounces of food every 3 hours – Meh, I definitely disagree with this. First off 8oz of food is very little, secondly you’d have to measure your food all the time, at least for a few weeks. Third, it would develop stress if you happen to miss a meal or be late for one. However, if you can do this and remain sane, so be it.
    2. No sugary drinks – I guarantee THIS had a lot to do with her weight loss, assuming that she ate whatever she wanted in #1 provided it was only 8oz
    3. Do not skip meals – As a faster, I obviously don’t agree with this. I think she’d done just as well on 3 square meals a day, rather than eating rabbit bites every three hours.
    4. Do not tell anyone what you're doing – this, and #2 are hands down the best advice ever. I think many of us primals FAIL here and then run into issues. It may be hard to keep this close, but it works.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think ways of eating like Primal and Paleo don't get as much attention because

1 - they seem like "lunatic fringe" ideas
    2 - they do seem a bit like a "fad" to those who don't know better. I don't think it helps that some call it the "caveman diet." I don't know why, but that term just sets me off!
    3 - for some people is just is so haaaard (said in whining voice) to give up all the favorites like bread, pasta, sugar, etc.

Why would someone want to actually have to cook, eat real food, not drink sodas or "sports drinks", etc? What would they pack their kids for lunch? What would THEY eat for lunch? What could they order from McDonald's? See, these are all VERY tough, important questions for the average person to try and figure out. BTW - if it wasn't obvious, that last part was total sarcasm!!

Carrie

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yep, 2 out of 4. Not bad.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
    I think ways of eating like Primal and Paleo don't get as much attention because

1 - they seem like "lunatic fringe" ideas
    2 - they do seem a bit like a "fad" to those who don't know better. I don't think it helps that some call it the "caveman diet." I don't know why, but that term just sets me off!
    3 - for some people is just is so haaaard (said in whining voice) to give up all the favorites like bread, pasta, sugar, etc.

Why would someone want to actually have to cook, eat real food, not drink sodas or "sports drinks", etc? What would they pack their kids for lunch? What would THEY eat for lunch? What could they order from McDonald's? See, these are all VERY tough, important questions for the average person to try and figure out. BTW - if it wasn't obvious, that last part was total sarcasm!!

Carrie
    Yeah, the "caveman diet" thing is annoying... degrading.

This woman is a success and goodluck to her... but I mean, seriously... what the flip did she eat in those small amounts of food? I'm sure it wasn't chocolate and McDonald's burgers...

They don't focus on WHAT FOOD they focus on how LITTLE FOOD...

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    First off, good for her, even if her weight loss methods weren’t all that great, it’s still a fantastic job.

1. Eat 8 ounces of food every 3 hours – Meh, I definitely disagree with this. First off 8oz of food is very little, secondly you’d have to measure your food all the time, at least for a few weeks. Third, it would develop stress if you happen to miss a meal or be late for one. However, if you can do this and remain sane, so be it.
    2. No sugary drinks – I guarantee THIS had a lot to do with her weight loss, assuming that she ate whatever she wanted in #1 provided it was only 8oz
    3. Do not skip meals – As a faster, I obviously don’t agree with this. I think she’d done just as well on 3 square meals a day, rather than eating rabbit bites every three hours.
    4. Do not tell anyone what you're doing – this, and #2 are hands down the best advice ever. I think many of us primals FAIL here and then run into issues. It may be hard to keep this close, but it works.
    Yeah, I tell very few people... and if I do I can back it up with almost 80 lb's of fat lost... so 'ef em... but I waited until I was about 3 months paleo/primal before I even mentioned my lack of pasta/bread to anyone who wasn't close to me... and quickly after that I learned to keep that a dirty secret. Gay? Atheist? These things don't set people off... but oh boy if I dare say i don't eat pasta I get an ear-full about "healthy grains" and "need carbs for energy" and "without carbs you get depressed."

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Yeppers - the focus is still on the magic formula and low fat blecch
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    1. Eat 8 ounces of food every 3 hours – I hate this idea. I much prefer to eat a large amount once a day. I still am losing weight, so I don't think this has anything to do with it.
    2. No sugary drinks – Well. Duh.
    3. Do not skip meals – Still don't agree with it. By never allowing yourself to become comfortable with hunger, and understand that it's not going to kill you, you are never able to fully control yourself. Life happens. Sometimes you have to be late eating. I'd rather not crash and burn and gorge myself on crap because I wasn't able to eat my 8 oz portion right on time.
    4. Do not tell anyone what you're doing – HATE this advice! It's best to be accountable. If you don't let people know "oh, I'm trying to eat like this" then people will offer you crap, and how are you supposed to turn them down? This is crap. You know what has kept me from eating grains more times than I can count? Having to eat in front of my husband, with him knowing I'm "cheating".

Look, kudos to this woman for losing weight. But Health and weight are not the same thing. If you're feeding yourself crap in small enough portions to lose weight, well that's great, you'll lose weight. But you aren't fixing the problems in your body that caused you to gain weight in the first place. Weight is not a cause, it's a symptom, and fixing symptoms does not fix your problem.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The main thing holding back something like MDA from making a CNN interest story is that the news folks are shallow wimps, and they have CW advisors all around them that won't let them do anything bold.

It would require that one of them live through it themselves, then they might be bold and confident enough to stand up to the "Dr Main Stream Dork" that will immediately try and dismiss any report as bunk and summarize it with the last word... "Although our guests lost weight on MDA, questions remain as far as... And what its really about is balance, moderation, and portion control..."

Yesterday in the early morning, I was up early (while infomercials were still stinking up the History Channel), and CNN kept teasing about "Is sugar actually TOXIC, that's coming up this hour" but by the time they got to the story, they had already "poisoned the well" by their tone of voice and weak-ass "well, all things in moderation, don't believe this strong condemnation, etc" It was disappointing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast