Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I test next to help complexion? page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

What should I test next to help complexion?

So I have spent the last year SERIOUSLY trying to tackle the fact that my face never 'really' clears up. I don't have major acne per say, but its definitely not where I think it should be.

I have tried quite a few different evening regimes, including oil cleansing (which ended up being the worst....just could not find a combo that worked for me). I have tried more chemicals, less, various techniques (different cloths, water temp...)...etc. I do not wear a lot of make up, I work from home so quite often nothing. I use a decent natural shampoo, I have also done almost a year of no poo, but no differences there. I try each regime for awhile, usually 6 weeks just in case there is a transition phase.

I am currently on a more natural cleaning regime that at least has my skin no longer dried out (a common issue), but I seem to keep having breakouts on my chin and forehead.

Lately I have stuck with the same cleaning ritual and now I am trying food experiments. I dropped dairy (except butter) almost two months ago, and that has resulted in me dropping 6 lbs and my stomach settling down nicely. But no major change in face, if anything it has gotten worse.

So what should I try next? Drop the butter? bacon? avocado? dark chocolate?

My diet now consists of meats (only processed one being bacon), eggs, butter, veggies, oils are coconut oil or olive, dark chocolate, rarely some nuts (usually pecans or almonds), and yerba mate for morning 'tea'. Occasionally I will have rice with sushi, or some potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Supplements are Vit D (5000 iu), Fish oil (1000-2000mg daily), Calcium/mag, kelp tablets, and occasionally 5 htp.

Any suggestions on what I should try next to eliminate?

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    This is a long shot, but do you take probiotics? I had an aesthetician say that in traditional Chinese medicine, supposedly, acne on the chin and forehead indicate problems with digestion. So even though you've eliminated the aggravating things from your diet, you might still need help to heal your digestion. If you don't want to pop pills, try raw lacto-fermented veggies. I like Bubbie's pickles and sauerkraut.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    This is a long shot, but do you take probiotics? I had an aesthetician say that in traditional Chinese medicine, supposedly, acne on the chin and forehead indicate problems with digestion. So even though you've eliminated the aggravating things from your diet, you might still need help to heal your digestion.
    This could be a distinct possibility. I am going on over 15 years of digestion issues. While is is far far better, I would say 80% healed, I am still pretty sensitive and maybe my breakouts are just a reminder I am not all the way there. I would rather ADD probiotics then narrow my diet down even further.

Think this may shuffle to the top of my list.....

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I would rather ADD probiotics then narrow my diet down even further.
    Yeah, I was thinking that. It sounds like you eat pretty well. I suppose, you could cut the chocolate and sweet potatoes (sugar), and maybe switch to ghee instead of whole butter (milk proteins), but those things are so trace that I would bet you'd have seen a marked improvement by now if that was your problem. I tend to have acne on my chin and forehead as well, even though I feel like I have an iron stomach, but it could be that that's my sign of digestive problems. I'm trying to remember to eat a raw pickle after lunch every day to see if it helps.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure if any of these could be an issue for you, but here is what I found causes my breakouts:

1. Not enough water
    2. Resting head on hands or talking on the phone a lot (resting receiver on chin)

Carrie

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Silicones in any products (hair or skin) are a huge breakout trigger for me. A bit of a longshot but I figured I'd mention it.

On the cleanliness front, are you good about frequently changing your pillowcase and anything else that comes in contact with your face, like makeup brushes?

Personally, I've done well with oil cleansing but I avoid irritating essential oils. I use a cleansing oil that just has olive oil and olive oil esters. I only wash at night and then just rinse in the morning. But it sounds like you're pretty satisfied with your cleansing. I've been using 100% pure virgin argan oil for moisturizing and my skin seems to like it. Makeupwise, I use a mineral makeup with very few ingredients. None of the bismuth oxychloride and other crap you find in most big brands. Switching from liquid to mineral powder made a huge difference in my skin. I generally find my skin is happier the less I put it through. I used to have oily skin and the moment I stopped stripping the hell out of it with harsh cleansers, it normalized.

As for your diet, sorry about the dairy. That sucks but it looks like it's not for you. Good you found out. You might want to try switching ghee for your butter and doing the probiotic thing.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Have you been checked for your hormones? Roseacea (sp)?
    Do you live in a polluted area? the amount of grime my skin collected in an urban environment was disgusting.

You could go down the route of not cooking in / storing food in / drinking from plastic containers, as some of these are thought to leach hormone-altering chemicals. Or I've heard of flouride in toothpaste irritating and causing breakouts around the mouth...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this is correct but just a thought. maybe you should try some borage oil which is an omega 6 and is good for the skin. You can take it as supplement. Read up on it.
    http://www.shikai.com/publications/borageSkin.htm
    Last edited by Sue; 04-22-2011 at 07:12 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would drop the butter. If you found your butter doesn't like dairy, getting rid of the last little bit might really help.

I do feel you pain though. I dropped dairy a long time ago, but just did a whole thirty without nuts or butter. Much to my surprise my energy levels have come up and inflammation has gone down. I am sad to lose them, but it is really worth it to feel better.

You could use ghee, but I just don't feel like it's worth it.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try a sea salt wash-desolve 3-4-TBLS in about 2 cups of hot water.. let cool off dump warm salt wash over face..
    do not rinse off... do not use wash cloth, let sit for a min. or two pat dry with towel
    If it dries out your skin out cut back a TBLS at a time but still use same amout of water to disolve..

works wonders

if you feel like you need a light cream use
    cream neosporine (not the ointment) only when broken out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast