Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only stupid question is the one you dont ask? page

SpunkyB. is offline Junior Member

Only stupid question is the one you dont ask?

Primal Fuel
    So... I was thinking.. and while I am very new to the Primal lifestyle and I am just trying to get a grip on it, throwing caution to the wind when it comes to fats, trying to get over the CW and all but it seems like Im getting a vast majority of fat from coconut. (shredded, oil, milk) I read alot of hype about coconut oil but that is not why I "flock" to it. I just like it. I was curious why is the focus so much on the oil? Wouldnt the fat from the meat and milk be just as beneficial? If not.. why?

*Note* - I do get fat from other sources.. i.e. eggs, bacon, beef,lamb, fish but I do not eat much avocado (occasionally), I dont eat nuts ( trigger for me and I will eat them to no avail), occassional dairy, oh.. and I have been making/using ghee but I favor the coconut oil. I just wanted to add this so people dont think I am only getting fat from one source.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The oil is concentrated. You'd have to eat a whole lot of shredded coconut and drink a whole lot of coconut milk to get what you can get in a tablespoon of oil.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Yup, the meat and the milk are also full of beneficial fats - just not as concentrated as in the oil. I'm not sure why all the hype centers on the oil either.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The oil is the most bang for your buck, I guess.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Yup - I think it's about 4 tbsp coconut milk to get the same fat as 1 tbsp coconut oil. It also might be easier to tell people to change their cooking oil than to add a novel food into their diet?

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    and it tastes sooooooooooooooooo good!

Ahh..makes sense. I knew it would be something obvious. I always pull a "special moment" on the obvious questions. I just recently bought REAL coconut milk.. and not the light..but the full fat and how "they" call the coconut milk in the the dairy case with the soy milk "coconut milk" is beyond me.. taste nothing like the "real" thing. Holy Hell. There has to be a way to make whipped cream from it..no sweeteners of any kind needed.. far better than cream. Coconut is the best drupe in the world! haha.

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    Great bang for your buck (Fried goats cheese in EVCO is a vice of mine) and supposedly the "Medium-chain triglycerides" make it super awesome. There's a couple coconut oil threads around these parts. I'm currently experimenting with it other than just making yummy treats and snacks (EVCO, 80% dark chocolate, cinnamon and peppermint oil).

Im really trying to keep dairy to a minimum because I actually cut it out entirely before I found this site because I was doing the Paleo thing.. turns out.. I can handle small amounts of dairy but if I eat alot of it.. gastrointestinal holocaust :/ However.. I will try the goat cheese because that is my most favorite cheese in the world

Today I bought some 99% chocolate.. errr.. no.. so melted it down and added some coconut milk to it.. still no haha so I put it on wax paper topped with shredded coconut and coconut oil and popped them in the freezer.. probably still gonna be a no.. but I figure in the event of a meltdown it will suffice. Perhaps. Its the aftertaste that makes me pucker

YES...the real, full-fat stuff is amazing. It makes me cranky that Trader Joe's stopped carrying anything but light coconut milk. I like to blend the good stuff with some frozen mango and vanilla extract for "ice cream." I also made a chocolate frozen custard with it for the first time this week - I heated coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, cocoa powder, and a bit of honey on the stove, whisking until thickened, and then put it in the freezer for a while, stirring every couple minutes until it was frozen but still soft (you could do this much more easily if you had an ice cream maker). Amazing - it was thicker than milk-based frozen custards, and there was no gastrocalypse afterwards. Definitely not an everyday food, but incredible for the occasional indulgence. And coconut curries are so quick and tasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast