Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a primal way to organize? page

entwyf is offline Senior Member

Is there a primal way to organize?

Shop Now
    Most of my daily life involves forcing my right-brain dominant way of doing things to serve in a left-brained work environment. When I get home from work at the end of any given week-day, I am usually too fried to think about organizing/maintaining/repairing anything at home.

Today, a day off work for various arcane reasons, I am trying to figure out the fastest, simplest way to clear junk out of my house so that I can begin a process of making it a space in which I can actually live and not just exist.

It would be wonderful if there were a way to apply Primal thinking and doing to this kind of task. One book, Organizing for Your Brain Type by Lanna Nakone, has helped me immensely. But it seems impossible that organizing and maintaining one's living environment could be simple, creative, playful, and healthful.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
    Edith

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entwyf View Post

Today, a day off work for various arcane reasons,

Pick up something, put it away, repeat.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entwyf View Post
    Most of my daily life involves forcing my right-brain dominant way of doing things to serve in a left-brained work environment. When I get home from work at the end of any given week-day, I am usually too fried to think about organizing/maintaining/repairing anything at home.

Today, a day off work for various arcane reasons, I am trying to figure out the fastest, simplest way to clear junk out of my house so that I can begin a process of making it a space in which I can actually live and not just exist.

It would be wonderful if there were a way to apply Primal thinking and doing to this kind of task. One book, Organizing for Your Brain Type by Lanna Nakone, has helped me immensely. But it seems impossible that organizing and maintaining one's living environment could be simple, creative, playful, and healthful.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
    Edith
    Look up the Sidetracked Sisters (Pam Young and Peggy Jones). I think their best book is The Happiness File, but it's out of print. You might be able to find it on Amazon. Best set of books I ever read on organization were by these two awesome reformed-slob ladies.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post

Pick up something, put it away, repeat.
    Wise acre...

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I suppose one primal thing about the way I organize is the KISS principle.

The most important thing: I am ruthless in getting rid of stuff. I have very few decorative items in my home. If I don't love it, I don't let it take up space in my life. Grok had to carry his life on his back. He didn't have the time or the energy for non-essential stuff. I'm glad I have a house and quite a bit more luxury, but it's easy to become a slave to your stuff.

If something has a function, then it has a place I'm going to be using it. I organize those spaces around the tasks. Everything has to have a place. The ease of getting to and putting away an item is proportional to how much I use it. If I don't make things easy to put away, I will be less likely to keep things organized. If I can't take things out and put them away with ease, I have too much stuff.

I found that once I got rid of a lot of clutter, I was less likely to buy things. Serene house. Fat wallet.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I found that once I got rid of a lot of clutter, I was less likely to buy things. Serene house. Fat wallet.
    +1 Nicely put.

Do one room at a time. Most folks try to do too much at once and get overwhelmed.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    SPACE

Sort - sort through everything and put like items together
    Purge - go through each sorted pile and get rid of stuff you don't need
    Assign - determine a place where you're going to keep each type of item
    Containerize - get shelves, boxes, etc to put them in
    E - I forget what it stands for! but it means, maintain the organization system you've established

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    See the Zen Habits site. He also has a blog called mnmlist.com

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    I do this too, but because I'm an exceptionally skilled procrastinator and work avoider, I usually skew the time cycles more toward working time, i.e., 30 minutes of work, 10 minutes of play. This works very well for my daughter, too, who is even more slow to clean her room than I am (hard to believe such a thing is possible).
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ultramega's 20 minute plan is awesome. When I want to tackle a larger project, like cleaning out the garage, my husband and I chunk it up into easy goals. Like we commit to each going through two boxes worth of stuff on the weekend. Sooner or later, it's all done. If you feel like you have to hit it and go after it until its done, its hard to start.

Another thing that keeps momentum going is that I throw a dinner party at least once a week. I've got to pick stuff up. I don't have kids so there's only so far my house can go off the rails in a week. Plus it just keeps me in the headspace of putting it away now because there's not much later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast