Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Coconut Custard page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Chocolate Coconut Custard

Shop Now
    I made up a chocolate coconut custard yesterday that turned out very well and thought I would share the recipe for anyone who is craving a creamy dessert.

1 can full-fat coconut milk
    2 bars (3 or 3.5 oz.) very dark chocolate (82-90%)
    1tsp vanilla
    4 large egg yolks

In a double boiler, melt chocolate, add coconut milk and stir until smooth and chocolate is completely incorporated. Stir in one tsp vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks, temper slowly by adding one spoonful of warm chocolate mixture at a time and stirring in thoroughly following each addition. Once warmed, slowly add egg mixture to double boiler, stirring continuously. Once thick and luscious, spoon into small ramekins. I made mine about 3 oz. each which is plenty - this is a very rich dessert. Chill. Consistency is extremely thick, like gelato but not terribly sweet due to very dark chocolate. Makes 6-8 servings depending on how you spoon it out. I think it would be good with a couple of raspberries or sliced strawberry on top.

Kaytoo is offline Member
    Oh my goodness this sounds amazing.

I just (yesterday) discovered the wonders of coconut + super dark chocolate, and I basically want to try it in every possible form now. I think this is next on my list!

greenstar is offline Junior Member
    This is basically the recipe I use for making ice cream. If you cool it to room temperature and then put it in an ice cream maker, you get a really nice dark chocolate ice cream! I've often thought that just eating it as a pudding/custard would be good too though.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    It's very similar to the recipe I use, it's incredible!

I wanted to make something creamy and figured I would give it a try and see how it came out. I am quite pleased. Even the non-primal family members enjoyed it. My daughter suggested freezing it, too.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Oh my. I rarely make dessert, but I'm going to have to break down for this one....
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Holy crackers, this sounds glorious.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've got mine setting up in the fridge right now. My first time tempering in eggs, and it went off without a hitch (thanks to paying attention while The Food Network is on). One of the good things about living alone is there is nobody to fight over who gets to lick the bowl. Mama always does.

P.S. I halved the recipe. Learned the hard way if I make a whole batch of goodies, I will eat said whole batch of goodies.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 04-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

I just ate the last one of mine tonight. Shared with family and extended family... it is very good, but not something I can eat every day and continue to lose weight. Halving the recipe is a very good suggestion!

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaytoo View Post
    Oh my goodness this sounds amazing.

I just (yesterday) discovered the wonders of coconut + super dark chocolate, and I basically want to try it in every possible form now. I think this is next on my list!
    I discovered this weekend that if you need just, like, one bite of something rich and sweet, a teaspoon of coconut butter, plus a walnut half, plus a couple chips' worth of super dark chocolate all at once is... something extra-special.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast