Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like Your Pork Cooked? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

How Do You Like Your Pork Cooked?

Primal Fuel
    Let's say a pork steak for easy comparison.

I LOVE my beef steak cooked medium rare.

I ask about pork because conventional wisdom says to cook chicken and pork at 160 degrees. I think beef is 145.

So, do you cook your pork longer than beef? Or do you like it medium rare like beef?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Idioteque is offline Member
    Normally longer. Probably due to CW left-overs (and also because trichinella was quite common when I was a kid and I remember my parents always double checking the meat - normally they would buy a whole pig - for it in the labs).

But beef should be rare, dripping blood

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I have no qualms about eating rare/raw beef, slight qualms with pork, and extreme qualms with chicken, lol. that's assuming they're all high quality, happy animals and I know the processor, etc. Ham steak is delicious med or med rare and pork is just as bad overcooked as beef and poultry are.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

AmyKickass is offline Junior Member
    My mom used to cook pork to the point of dried out. It was awful. I don't eat it much these days-no reason, just overlooked, but I definitely want it juicy when I do eat pork. CW for pork is based on the trichinella problems of the past, which are now not a problem at least for most pork. In the US you should be able to eat commercially available pork just as rare as a steak. Doing so with a free range pig would make me nervous, though, and I'd definitely cook wild game pork to an internal temperature of 160.
    Peace. Love. Steak.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyKickass View Post
    My mom used to cook pork to the point of dried out. It was awful. I don't eat it much these days-no reason, just overlooked, but I definitely want it juicy when I do eat pork. CW for pork is based on the trichinella problems of the past, which are now not a problem at least for most pork. In the US you should be able to eat commercially available pork just as rare as a steak. Doing so with a free range pig would make me nervous, though, and I'd definitely cook wild game pork to an internal temperature of 160.
    This...
    I never cook my pork to welldone, unless by accident....

Drain Bead is offline Senior Member
    Medium-rare to medium, depending on the cut. But I like my bacon really crispy.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyKickass View Post
    In the US you should be able to eat commercially available pork just as rare as a steak. Doing so with a free range pig would make me nervous, though, and I'd definitely cook wild game pork to an internal temperature of 160.
    I don't get this. Did I miss something? You are saying you should be able to eat commercially raised pork as rare as a steak but if its pastured from a local farm it would make you nervous? Isn't that backwards?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    2nd the crispy bacon. I generally cook pork past pink. I don't think it would be healthy to cook it like my beef steaks because I hardly cook my beef steaks. I'm particular about cuts because many get dry. We sometimes do tenderloin but we make it in a roulade with lots of cheese and sour cream which helps keep it moist. If I do chops, I get extra thin so they cook super fast. The most common cut I get is a pork shoulder which gets a longer cook and is turned into pulled pork.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    What? Cook pork? Ferment it!

Nem Chua Recipe Vietnamese Fermented/Cured Pork | Ravenous Couple: Cooking up Life

You can omit the sugar - just makes it more sour

Good stuff - super primal!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat my pork medium, usually. There are occasions I have stuffed a slice or two of raw bacon in my mouth. However that's only because my pork is pastured (wild) boar, and I have a local butcher who handles all of my meat purchases. There is NO WAY I'd do that with conventional pork from the grocery store.

My mother used to cook pork to death too, and I never liked it. It was only when I started cooking for myself that I began to love pork.

Pork FAT, however, must be cooked really well. It just tastes better that way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast