Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like Your Pork Cooked? page 2

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I eat my beef rare. Pork does not matter unless there are Mcintosh apples on hand for sauce.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    I'll admit: I thought of something very different from cooked pig flesh when reading the title of this thread.

On subject: Isn't Trichinosis an issue with under-cooked pork? I mean, I don't want leathery pork, but I don't want parasite eggs in my muscles, either...
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sibylsybil View Post
    I'll admit: I thought of something very different from cooked pig flesh when reading the title of this thread.

On subject: Isn't Trichinosis an issue with under-cooked pork? I mean, I don't want leathery pork, but I don't want parasite eggs in my muscles, either...
    I asked my butcher one time and he informed that it used to be a issue but current commercially raised hogs are not fed slops or raised in mud (as oppose to 50 years ago). The cases of Trichinosis is very rare now, so cooking pork when some pink in the inside is fine. In any case, the parasites are destroyed at a temperature of 137 F.

I eat my pork chops/steaks with a little pink in the inside. No problems here.
    Last edited by Zed; 04-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I used to love pork. When we have a celebration it's usually with a pig on the spit and sometimes lamb. I always hoped it would be pig. But a few years back when I ate some the meat really stunk to me so I stopped eating it. Then just recently thought I would buy some pork steaks. Cooked them with lots of spices but still it stunk. The smell turns me off eating it. I am fine with bacon and ham.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I don't get this. Did I miss something? You are saying you should be able to eat commercially raised pork as rare as a steak but if its pastured from a local farm it would make you nervous? Isn't that backwards?
    As strange as it sounds commercially raised pork is less likely to be carrying Trichinella, because of all the new stringent controls in place. Pasture raised and you're taking a slight risk because you can't be certain what the animal was eating. Still a low chance of Trichinella, but if the pig ate an infected rodent for example, that's how it could be carrying the worm.

I do all my pork well done because it's not worth the risk. Marinading tenderizes it anyway.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Grilled some salt & pepper chops (2in thick) last night to a lovely 140deg, they were tender and juicy with no traces of pink

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Grilled some salt & pepper chops (2in thick) last night to a lovely 140deg, they were tender and juicy with no traces of pink
    Really? Only 140 degrees and no pink at all? Beef steak has some pink at 140 degrees... I now really wonder why we always had to cook pork longer then.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Toad,
    There was a hint of pink when I took them off the grill but like beef they continue to cook while resting 10-15min.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    I like my pork steaks with a hint of pink in the middle - don't like them to dry out. I pan-fry them a bit more gently than I would beef (my beef steaks are seared on the outside and dripping blood on the inside).

I think the cut is very important too - all those 'heart-healthy' lean pork fillets and chops can end up a bit tough and dry. My favourite pork cut is scotch fillet because the meat's a bit darker and marbled, so it's softer and juicier and more flavourful. (Says she, who just had two such fillets for dinner only a couple of hours ago - om nom nom!)
    Last edited by Sigi; 04-23-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: clarity

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I don't get this. Did I miss something? You are saying you should be able to eat commercially raised pork as rare as a steak but if its pastured from a local farm it would make you nervous? Isn't that backwards?
    Pigs raised in nature with access to dirt *can* get trichinosis, factory farmed pigs never touch dirt so they have no access to trichinosis.

I've lately developed a taste for pork cooked medium to medium well...i dont like the texture of pork on the rare side

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast