Thread: Safflower Oil vs Soybean/Canola Oil page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

Safflower Oil vs Soybean/Canola Oil

Shop Now
    After giving it much thought...my tuna salad still requires mayo or Miracle Whip (my preferred option, but I can probably deal with mayo with some doctoring).

I can get Hains Safflower Oil Mayo - no other oils, I called and checked to make sure the "grain vinegar" listed in their ingredients is gluten-free.

Should I use that, or stick with my Miracle Whip?

Tuna salad is about a twice a week thing, with about 2 tablespoons white stuff mixed with a can of tuna and some pickle.

Yes, I know I can make mayo. I'm not going to make it for the small amount I'd actually use.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Most recipes I've seen for mayo make about a cup or so. That's 16 tablespoons. If you're only using it for tuna salad, you might not use it all before it starts going bad. You can add whey to lacto-ferment it though: Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise | CHEESESLAVE

Nutritionally, safflower is extremely high in PUFA, more so than canola or soybean. It's also likely highly processed and therefore oxidized. I'd avoid it.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

If making your own mayo with a healthy fat is still not an option, how about using some sour cream or Greek yogurt in its place?
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.