Thread: Too many avocados? page

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member

Too many avocados?

Primal Fuel
    I love avocados and I buy them by the bag at Costco. I have noticed some weight gain, though, after eating one a day for a couple of weeks. I wonder if avocados could be the culprit. Has anybody else noticed this?

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Nope, been eating one a day for a few weeks and keep getting leaner. What else are you eating?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If the avocados are making you gain weight, the simplest explanation is that they are high in calories which is contributing to you eating too much.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Barbara is offline Junior Member
    You might want to check your total carb intake. One avocado has 17 grams of carbohydrates, which is perfectly fine if you want to stay below 100, but when I want to accelerate my weight loss, I stay below 50 grams, so I try to go light on avocados, tomatoes, and other fruits that are higher in carbs. I've just been on the PB for a little over 3 months, so I'm no expert, but I've seen tremendous progress - I've lost over 25 pounds, have loads more energy, and am sleeping better than I ever have in years! (I used to buy those bags of avocados at Costco, too. BTW, Costco sells jars of roasted Macadamia nuts with sea salt that are recommended by Brad and Mark, and 12 nuts only have 4 grams of carbs.)

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I eat around 50-60 grams of carbs a day and according to my lose it app one avocado has 12 grams of carbs, which are mostly fiber. If they're making you gain then your overall calorie intake is too high.

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    You might want to check your total carb intake. One avocado has 17 grams of carbohydrates, which is perfectly fine if you want to stay below 100, but when I want to accelerate my weight loss, I stay below 50 grams, so I try to go light on avocados, tomatoes, and other fruits that are higher in carbs. I've just been on the PB for a little over 3 months, so I'm no expert, but I've seen tremendous progress - I've lost over 25 pounds, have loads more energy, and am sleeping better than I ever have in years! (I used to buy those bags of avocados at Costco, too. BTW, Costco sells jars of roasted Macadamia nuts with sea salt that are recommended by Brad and Mark, and 12 nuts only have 4 grams of carbs.)
    Don't avocados (the CA kind, at least) have something like only 4-5 g of net carbs? I can handle one avocado a day, but any more then that, I feel a bit bloated. I attribute it to the high calories.

canuk_caveman is offline Member
    well the avacodos at my costco are HUGE. i prefer the grocery store one since they are smaller and better for 1 person to eat a whole one. i've been eating about 1 a day for a while and haven't noticed any weight gain...