Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought pigs feet page

Lynna is offline Senior Member

I bought pigs feet

Shop Now
    Now what...?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hehe! What state are they in? Do they need a wash? (A shave?).
    They need long, slow cooking to release all the gelatin. I'd recommend putting at least the same amount of lean meat as trotter in some kind of strongly flavoured stew - not because trotters taste nasty but because they seem to soak up flavourings and can leave your stew/sauce bland.
    Eat them Chinese style - pop a chunk in your mouth and spit out the bits of bone, rather than trying to use a knife and fork to get the bones out.

Trotters! The Veg Patch

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    So, there's a pig out there that just rolls everywhere now?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I saw some at my local grocery store and I'm tempted to get some next time. I imagine they would make delicious super gelatinous broth. You could just make broth and then freeze it and use it when cooking veggies and making sauces. Or maybe use it like a ham hock and boil it with some greens.

Daemonized - LOL!

NortherMonkeyGirl -

The feet are split, which will save some preptime, no hacking as you wrote in your blog. I figured they would make a nice broth, just wondering about flavors. I bought some neck bones too. Maybe I can throw them in all together.

I just made some oxtail soup last week. I don't think they'd work like ham hocks, they're not smoked or anything and there doesn't look like they have a lot of meat. Mostly skin, fat, cartilage and bone.
    Last edited by Lynna; 04-22-2011 at 11:07 AM.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I use them to make a stock that I then cook less gelatinous meat in - e.g. chicken casserole. The richly gelatinous stock really does wonders for the chicken.

I use two or three split feet, cover with water and cook for 24 / 36 hours in the slow cooker with the juice of a lemon. The masses of little bones and cartilage make a stunning stock which will jell really well in the fridge.

Also, the stock makes ace soups - just cook a coupe of onions and some veg in the resulting stock, puree, add some thick cream and season. When I do this I like to use one veg only (apart from the onions and perhaps garlic!) to make a cream of (name your veg) soup.

Thanks Breadsauce. I started then in my crockpot yesterday afternoon and started straining the stock this morning. There are a bazillion little bones! I also threw in some neck bones and thought I might make a cabbage soup with some of the broth and save some in the freezer. Anyway what do you do with the skin?

If I've cooked it long enough, I reckon the skin has given up all of the goodness there so I chuck it - out, usually, for any little birds that might want it. I have never eaten the skin from the feet - yet!

Okay. I wasn't sure I wanted to eat it. I think next time I will cook fewer of them for a longer period. I had 5 halves and put them all in the pot. Some of the stock had bubbled out from under the lid and made a mess on the countertop. I now have my strained stock cooling and some nice bits of meat from the neckbone waiting to be turned into soup. Not sure if I will make it today or wait until Monday. DH promised to take me out to eat today and tomorrow is Easter dinner at my daughter's. Thanks again.

DH? Another one I don't know...! Enjoy your stock / soup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast