Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did hunter gatherers really eat veggies? page

mwok86 is offline Senior Member

Did hunter gatherers really eat veggies?

Primal Fuel
    Since there was no refrigeration, did they really walk out 50+ miles to find a plate full of tubers, spinach, asparagus, bell peppers to eat with their meats? Since there were no spices back then and the only thing tasty was fat....would they really have eaten bland vegetables with their meat? Maybe they added 1 or two vegetables but a plate full???

I made a dish with fish and a plate full of vegetables and the spinach and asparagus makes the whole dish smell/taste like grass/swamp. I can't imagine grok would want that and besides, nowadays, asparagus is hard to get organic and loaded with toxins (What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Asparagus).

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Erm... maybe you overcooked the vegetables? Grass/swamp flavour would be a sign of that; spinach needs maybe 1-2 minutes and asparagus maybe 5. (Weird combination, by the way.)

If you're new to Primal, give it a few months and see if things don't start tasting different.

As for hunter gatherers... afaik, they eat what's there. Sometimes that would be animals, sometimes it would be plants.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, weird veggie combo there.

As for hunter-gatherers and vegetables, particulars of diet depended on where in the world a particular group lived and thrived. The Inuit? Not so much. More equatorial groups? Fruits and vegetables wouldn't have been as big an issue. More temperate climates would have supported tubers and leafy vegetables.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    I made a dish with fish and a plate full of vegetables and the spinach and asparagus
    Blech! ;D

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don’t particularly care for too many veggies. I have only taken a few that I know to be good nutritionally and so I eat those.

I eat kale, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, onions, avocados, potatoes (mostly sweet, sometimes white) and with less frequency: tomatoes, carrots, mixed greens, any and all others (I will mostly eat these when eating someone else’s food, but don’t prepare them for myself too much) I also consume coconuts but not so much the fruit itself, mostly milk and oil.

I find that I largely prefer proteins and fat, so I eat all kinds of meat, fish and poultry and their fat, a lot of eggs, then I add spices and some of the aforementioned veggies when I feel like having a “balanced” meal, but it’s not unusual for me to go a few days just on meat+eggs as I enjoy the combination so much.

I eat sweet potatoes/other starch about once a week, sometimes more, and sometimes revolving around a workout (but not obsessively, mostly driven by hunger or cravings)

I don’t really suffer any ill-effects from my VLC diet, at least none that I can quantify (as in, my energy is just fine, including workouts) and I don’t do any aggressive carb loading, I think my average daily carbs are 30g at best (estimating, might actually be lower) and when I eat sweet potatoes it’s usually just one, which apparently doesn’t even put me over 100g a day. I might dabble in higher carb days in the summer when I’ll be a lot more active (I’ll be doing more running, hence depleting more glycogen, as it stands most of my workouts are brief enough not to require carb-loading as I’ve come to understand it)

If you want to read more about diets lacking in vegetables, you might find this link interesting: Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

I’m going to start reading “Fat of the Land” soon (I have a PDF, PM me if interested in a copy) which is a version of “Not by Bread Alone” I’m not sure of the differences, I think FOTL has more information as it came later. It’s about eating only meat, and the effects on health and longevity, it supposedly paints a very positive picture. This interests me as I eat little in the way of veggies, but in no way means I want to go veggie-free. I reckon I have taken what I consider to be the most nutritious veggies (perhaps with notable exceptions – which I’d definitely like to hear about) and include those in my diet regularly, but still get to eat most of what I truly do like: meat and eggs. It’s a very simple diet, but it’s primal and it suits me.

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    They were called hunter gathers, so they hunted AND gathered. I'm sure they didn't walk 50 miles to go find veggies, probably a little closer at hand.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I expect they ate whatever they found nearby. A lot of that is going to be veggies in most cases.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of what Grok did or didn't eat, we know that vegetables are good for us. It's really the one area that just about every different dietary school of thought agrees on: vegetables are really good for you. The general consensus around here is that they become more palatable over time as we train our taste buds away from all grains all the time. It's okay to take it slowly and to experiment with the veggies. Find the ones you really like and, perhaps, try one new vegetable or vegetable recipe a week to add to your repertoire. I never ever thought I would find myself craving brussels sprouts or spinach. God how I hated them when I was a kid!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, going primal has made me like broccoli, cauliflower and several other vegetables I didn't care for. Even avocado which I found tasteless, I sometimes have to stop myself from wanting to eat a whole big one as it packs a bunch of calories.

Craving for veggies is good.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, weird veggie combo there.

As for hunter-gatherers and vegetables, particulars of diet depended on where in the world a particular group lived and thrived. The Inuit? Not so much. More equatorial groups? Fruits and vegetables wouldn't have been as big an issue. More temperate climates would have supported tubers and leafy vegetables.
    +1
    It also would've had seasonal variation in many places. In colder climates, you likely wouldn't have a ton of veg in the winter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast