Thread: Need some help with inflammation page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Need some help with inflammation

Primal Fuel
    Hey Everyone,

I am trying to attack some issues that I believe are being caused by inflammation, and I am getting kind of bogged down with researching inflammatory foods. I use help from anyone knowledgeable on the subject. There is so much conflicting information out there in regards to which foods are inflammatory and which foods are not.

It seems that one of the cores of the issue seems to be paying close attention to n-3/n-6 balances. I have read in a couple places that it may even be a good idea to have a higher n-3 to n-6 ratio for a little while to help bring down inflammation.

(Yes, I have read through all of Mark's previous posts on inflammation).

Thanks so much!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

grokina is offline Member
    I am taking an arsenal of supplements to see if they help ameliorate a health condition. Plenty of pub med articles elucidate the benefits of curcumin (turmeric), Co Q 10 and krill oil, and keeping omega 6 very low. Then, less information but still potentially helpful : MSM, lots of green veggies, avoiding dairy and certainly processed foods, etc. I think the higher DHA fish oils and krill oil will give you more bang for your buck than your run of the mill fish oil. I just eliminated dairy to see if this helps.

You're correct that you'll find plenty of conflicting information on acid-alkaline balance online, so I'm not sure how to help you there, except that there is more agreement on the above information. Lemon and other low sugar fruits are supposedly preferred, and of course avoiding sugar and all substitutes, moderating alcohol and conventional meat consumption, probably.

This guy seems to have his head on straight, too: Cooling Inflammation
    Last edited by grokina; 04-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Having sufficient D3 levels seemed to be the key for me (as well as low PUFAs and no gluten.)

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I am in the middle of a Whole 30 eating restriction and for the first time in my life, am dairy free for 3 weeks now. I'm also 100% compliant with no grains, no sugar, no soy and no legumes. But I think the dairy is the biggest factor in noticing about a week into this that the chronic inflammation in my Achilles tendon, causing ongoing knee pain and inability to run, has finally gone down so much that I can run 2 miles now, completely pain free. This is huge for me!

Have you tried a strict removal of "inflammatory" foods from your life to see if it might help?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I gave up dairy completely for my Whole30 in January and saw no improvement, but I don't think 30 days is long enough to gauge, especially since I reintroduced alcohol immediately at the end of my Whole30. I know that the alcohol is a huge culprit when it comes to inflammation. I don't eat a ton of dairy now, but will likely try completely removing it again.

I supplement with fish oil with additional DHA, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, and occasionally a multi, calcium, or K2, depending on what I have been eating. All of my meat is grass-fed and the only fruit I really eat are berries and lemon/limes. I don't eat any processed foods and go easy on the nuts.

I read in one of Mark's posts that eggs could be inflammatory for some people, so maybe I will try some time without them. What is the best way to supplement turmeric other than using it in cooking?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

grokina is offline Member
    I supplement curcumin (responsible for the bioactivity of turmeric) via supplements from iHerb. I trust now brands, doctor's best and Jarrow. I've also gotten Jarrow from whole foods. I've had my mom take Jarrow curcumin for less than a week. The few days she went without brought about a return of the arthritis in her hands. So, for this n of 1, the stuff works.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have had severe problems with inflammation for many years. They are now close to under control. The things that were most important for me were getting my vitamin D3 levels up to the high end of normal with a good quality oil based D3 supplement and I need a lectin elimination diet as suggested here:

THE LECTIN STORY

I found that nightshades were causing a huge amount of inflammation in me. I feel best when I keep eggs, nuts, coffee, and dairy out as well. But I have a little more wiggle room on those. I highly recommend doing the elimination diet they suggest and then adding back one group at a time.

Good luck!!