Thread: a question on planks page

LockieKermit is offline Member

a question on planks

Shop Now
    I have a question regarding planks and bridges.

Is there any danger in just doing planks and bridges - front planks, side planks and but bridges.

Ive been loosley doing body weight stuff but feel Im not really getting the form right and i wanna give it a break for a while because I dont want to cause injury or get imbalances.
    So is it possible to safely work the core only. (endurance and posture only) for a a few weeks or more to get my back together, but while still maintaining my day to day activity ofcourse (school soccer)

Thanks

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LockieKermit View Post
    I have a question regarding planks and bridges.

Is there any danger in just doing planks and bridges - front planks, side planks and but bridges.

Ive been loosley doing body weight stuff but feel Im not really getting the form right and i wanna give it a break for a while because I dont want to cause injury or get imbalances.
    So is it possible to safely work the core only. (endurance and posture only) for a a few weeks or more to get my back together, but while still maintaining my day to day activity ofcourse (school soccer)

Thanks
    There's no inherent danger in just doing planks. Planks are something we would always do at the very start of conditioning to prepare for a football season because they set a baseline for the muscle. Same goes for wall sits and your legs.

Do I recommend just doing them? No. You might end up with tighter and less explosive muscles, and you certainly won't be doing much exercise. It will basically help your muscles achieve more reps whatever they can lift now.

Just my 2 cents.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Just doing planks and bridges will be better than not doing anything at all. Form is definitely important in doing any exercises, but I don't think it's necessary to take a break of a set duration. Take a look at the videos Mark posted on doing the basic primal movements and you'll get a good example (and usually an explanation too) of proper form.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for reminding me to do my planks.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

LockieKermit is offline Member
    ok guys thanks for the replies.

My main problem was my shoulders seem to never want to work properly and I cant seem to get my squat form correct. Always feel I used to much quad and less glute and hamstring.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    For the squat: Try overhead squats - without a meaningful weight, simply hold a stick above your head in a wide grip with your elbows locked out. Then do a full squat, and

1. Keep your heels on the floor
    2. Keep the stick above and slightly behind your head

Holding the stick and keeping it behind your head while performing the squat will seem difficult at first, but it will also automatically keep your back straight.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    For the squat: Try overhead squats - without a meaningful weight, simply hold a stick above your head in a wide grip with your elbows locked out. Then do a full squat, and

1. Keep your heels on the floor
    2. Keep the stick above and slightly behind your head

Holding the stick and keeping it behind your head while performing the squat will seem difficult at first, but it will also automatically keep your back straight.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member