Thread: Kefir-YUMMY! page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

Kefir-YUMMY!

I just tried Kefir for the first time (got some grains for free from a sweet lady I found on craigslist), and it is SO good! It's tangy like yogurt, with a texture more like the drinkable yogurts, with an aftertaste of the slightly alcoholic-tasting variety like Kombucha has.

PLUS it is really good for people with Candida overgrowth, which I discovered is a huge part of my problem. I am so excited about this, and so glad that I really enjoy something that is so good for me! If you've been on the fence about trying fermented things, like kefir, homemade sauerkraut, etc., I highly recommend taking the plunge!

camel is offline Senior Member
    I have a kefir starter that I've been meaning to use for a year now. I hope its still good. I was also hoping to try it with coconut milk.

PS. How do you say kefir? KEY-FUR or KEH-FUR?

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    How have you been keeping it? In the fridge in milk, or is it a dried starter? If it's either of those, it should still be good to use If you do it with coconut milk, be prepared for that portion of your kefir grains to die, they don't get everything they need in coconut milk, so keep part of your grains in regular milk so you don't lose them all.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be pronounced keh-fear, but I always say Key-fur lol.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I like dairy kefir. I tried the coconut kefir from SoDelicious and it was SoNOTdelicious. That went in the trash fast.

and I have always heard it as Key-fur
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    How have you been keeping it? In the fridge in milk, or is it a dried starter? If it's either of those, it should still be good to use If you do it with coconut milk, be prepared for that portion of your kefir grains to die, they don't get everything they need in coconut milk, so keep part of your grains in regular milk so you don't lose them all.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be pronounced keh-fear, but I always say Key-fur lol.
    It is pronounced Keh-fear.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I have a kefir starter that I've been meaning to use for a year now. I hope its still good. I was also hoping to try it with coconut milk.

PS. How do you say kefir? KEY-FUR or KEH-FUR?
    It's keh-FEAR.

I've also got a packet of dried starter in the pantry which I've been meaning to try forever. OperaDivaMom, you've inspired me to give it a try!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just went through the process of switching my milk kefir grains to water kefir for the Whole 30 in April. I used distilled water (have my own distiller) rather than chlorinated tap water, maple sugar for the sugar component and raisins for the dried fruit component. The bacteria basically consume the sugars from the solution to survive, so there's not supposed to me much left when they're done. It's delicious. It's got a slightly acidic, kinda sweet, reminiscent of a light beer sort of taste. I think I like it even better than milk kefir.