Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get Doctors to listen to you?? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Question How do you get Doctors to listen to you??

Shop Now
    I have an appointment with a new endocrinologist and I was wondering how do you get doctors to ACTUALLY listen to you and not just write you off and send you on your way? I have an appointment to address my thyroid as my previous appointment in Oct. determined my thyroid was whack but the doc said i was "young" and "would get over it" and sent me on my way. i'm 27 and I'm NOT over it. I am still mad about it to this day so I am hoping this new doctor will actually help me.

Any advice on how to be stern or insistent to get proper care without being disrespectful to the doctor??
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    I find that doctors are very dismissive , I usually end up yelling at them ! Next time I see one , I'm going to write everything I want to tell him down beforehand and get him to read it ...

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I have a vegan doctor. Still waiting on the appointment to tell him I'm a carnivore.......
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    You're paying for a service, if you don't like the service find another person to receive said service from, you should always demand the best service for your money.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Yes that is the problem i have been to many doctors, and they still get my money even when they dismiss me. I do try to write stuff down beforehand and try not to get all mad, but it is difficult. I don't want to be disrespectful either. I don't want to keep going to 99 doctors just to TRY to be heard!!! it is soo frustrating. I have always been healthy but the past 4 years I have had to be in the health care system and I find it quite disturbing. I am still thankful for the previous good care I have received from good doctors. My good doctor ended up retiring so now I am back looking for someone to hear me!!! I really find it sad that so many people cannot find a good doctor.

Also I always research the docs first but it is still a crapshoot as I have found out.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    List your symptoms without editorializing. Don't tell them how you've Googled this and you think it could be A, B, or C. Let them do their job and explore this with you. Consider yourself a partner in your health, but respect the doctor for their skill and knowledge. If you feel like you're being dismissed, SAY SO. Whatever happened to having a dialogue?

I don't know your journey with this, and it sounds like you've got something going on so I'm not suggesting this is the case for you, but often doctors are "dismissive" because there isn't anything to worry about. When I was younger, I couldn't understand why I was so tired and gaining weight. Someone suggested I should get my thyroid checked. So I got an appointment for a thyroid test and didn't want to discuss anything else with the poor guy. He became such a jerk to me, gave me my results (they were normal), and shooed me out of his office. Now I understand it was with good reason! Rather than being upset, patients should celebrate. Yay! There's nothing wrong! On the flip side, sometimes it takes time for a problem to develop, or a pattern needs to have time to make itself known. So yes, sometimes you do have to go back a few times for it all to make sense.

People love to bash "bad" doctors, but they rarely think about the fact that it's a two-way street.

I hope you feel better soon and get answers to the questions you're seeking. Good luck!
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Paleo in the Patch is offline Junior Member
    Give Chinese Medicine a try. Do not go to a chiropractor who also does acupuncture.

Chinese medicine is a preventive/curative medicine with out taking drugs. Tiny needles and herbs is the way to go.

I had a nasty infection from a spider bite a 1 1/2 ago and a friend had me so afraid that I almost went to the hospital. Went to my ex regular doc instead, and he proscribed a 10 course of hardcore antibotics, which has already caused me BIG problems, but took the script anyways but did not fill it. I then drove straight to my Accupuncturist that I had been to a few times. He gave me some herbs that he said would probably knock it out in a few days, and that I did not need to take them any longer than the symptoms were evident. Two days later I was done, and not compromise to my gut flora. I will not be taking antibotics again. Chinese Medicine has helped me in countless ways since and each with immediate, tangible results.

My .02.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Now I understand it was with good reason! Rather than being upset, patients should celebrate. Yay! There's nothing wrong!
    I have to disagree with this. Why would a person be happy to find out that they feel like crap and still have no answer why? I think doctors have an expectation that people should always be happy with negative test results. Many times it true - no one want to find out they have cancer, etc. But there are lots of times when it is not. I felt like absolute crap for more than ten years before I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease. The average auto-immune patient has symptoms for 11 years before getting diagnosed. But when day after day your body is screaming that something is wrong - putting a name to it makes a big difference. It changes your life.

I do agree however, there are plenty of crappy patients and plenty of good doctors. And vice versa.

To the OP - I am struggling with this now. I moved and do not know how to communicate with my new rheumatologist. Fortunately, I'm feeling well now so I don't really need him. But if something comes up I will be in trouble.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    List your symptoms without editorializing. Don't tell them how you've Googled this and you think it could be A, B, or C. Let them do their job and explore this with you. Consider yourself a partner in your health, but respect the doctor for their skill and knowledge. If you feel like you're being dismissed, SAY SO. Whatever happened to having a dialogue?
    +1
    Even if you feel like you know what's really going on, all you really know are your symptoms... however, make it clear that you're an educated patient, too, if you feel that they are dismissing you

I have an appointment with a new doctor coming up soon too, I've been wondering this too, let's compare experiences
    I was actually wondering if I should take some readings with me about why certain blood tests are necessary (like not just TSH when checking thyroid function) but that might be kinda OD. I do think I should take all my past blood test results though

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    First, what does, "my thryoid was whack" actually mean? Was your TSH and/or frees out of range? Do you have antibodies?

Be very prepared.Know the tests, their normal ranges and where you fall in those ranges. Have a detailed list of the top 3-5 symptoms you are experience-- do not list weight issues.

As an example my main symptoms, not including the weight gain, were:
    1. I find myself driving from point A to B, getting to B and not remembering the drive in between. This is happening more frequently and is frightening.
    2. I pick my children up from school. We get home. They grab a snack, start homework, turn to ask for help and find me sound asleep.
    3 I am always bone chilling cold and so fatigued I struggle to function..
    4. My resting heart rate, monitored by a polar monitor, over the last 3 weeks averages 37bpm.

It also helps to type out your questions, leaving space for answers. Give the doctor a copy and ask him/her to answer both orally and in writing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast