Thread: Roasting over an open fire....need some help page

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member

Roasting over an open fire....need some help

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I am planning to make a meal outdoors over a open fire (was thinking an entire rabbit or a roast, preferably red meat of some kind; maybe yams in the ashes,...what else could work?) but have only cooked hot dogs on sticks. Does anyone have any advice, ideas?
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Poopers is offline Member
    My main advice is this: DONT rush it, keep it near hot coals but not in the direct flame otherwise you may have raw meat inside and burnt outside. If you cook it over coals ... let it cook through, that way you can always blacken it over the fire afterwards

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Poopers! Its going to be interesting, I'm hoping to get a whole rabbit and cobble together a turning spit of some form. Bury some root veggie (hubby has asked for rutabagas and I might add some yams) in the ashes and then just a regular salad on the side. Would love to get a hold of some cattail flour to make "cakes" with but can't find it anywhere.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    build two fire rings. One for burning wood and making coals and one for cooking on. Right beside each other is ideal. Use an old grill grate or whatever and make your cooking pit to size accordingly. Pull coals from your burning pit as necessary.

DO NOT get in a rush, but inevitably some parts will be done before others (legs, wings, outside out large chunks....depends on the critter). This is not a bad thing as you can simply pull off what is getting done and eat it, exposing the inside to more heat.

It's a beautiful thing, enjoy it.