Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Self-sufficient Simple Life: Let's discuss how to prepare... page

CoconutMedic is offline Junior Member

The Self-sufficient Simple Life: Let's discuss how to prepare...

Shop Now
    There's a warm thought floating 'round 'tween my ears, and it's this:

A life with a woman away from Bustle and Hustle on a small plot of fertile, fenced-in land.

There's a hand-made hut, and a plain vegetable garden and a crowd of Chickens and Cows roaming free on lush grass.

What I'd like to discuss is what essential knowledge and tools will be needed to achieve the budding dream. What work is there for me to do to attain the simple life in order to survive away from it all?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    learn to butcher your animals, learn to can your food. depending on how off the grid you want to go, candle and soap making, composting your feces, using your urine as fertilizer

some simple sewing skills are always handy, how to do hut and equipment repairs

that's all i can think of off the top of my head i'd like my own little farm one day

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I understand the sentiment but keep in mind that living alone in the woods really isn't primal. People have always lived in groups. We had to. As a species our best attributes were brains and cooperation.

CoconutMedic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I understand the sentiment but keep in mind that living alone in the woods really isn't primal. People have always lived in groups. We had to. As a species our best attributes were brains and cooperation.
    Being around other people is important. Yes, I would seek out companionship.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Can we get like 100 acres and me and my family come join you? There, now its a group and primal. Maybe 200 acres...

learn how to butcher and use every part of the animal, including cutting up the meat, making sausage, jerky, tanning the hide, etc.
    learn to garden for that specific area
    learn what natural foods will be available and how to harvest them
    learn how to store all types of food (canning, drying, etc. I know canning isn't exactly primal but...)
    learn some advanced types of medicine and CPR, the more advanced the farther you are from modern medicine.
    speaking of that, how are you getting around? if someone hacks off a foot while chopping wood are you dragging them on a sled or harnessing up one of the cows? think up contingency plans for if things go wrong and be prepared (ie how are you training that cow to pull a wagon)
    learn how to sew/knit/weave/cobble/carve
    study the weather patterns for that area. are you going to need a lot of firewood in winter just to stay warm? will it provide enough lumber to do so? if not how are you cooking/staying warm?
    learn how to cook without an oven, microwave, toaster etc and learn how to replace the gadgets

More to come...once upon a time a group of friends and I decided we were going to buy a bunch of land and "return to nature" aka hippie style without the beads, religion, and drugs. We had this whole plan worked out, will try and find some of those emails, we had a really well-fleshed out plan going that I think would have worked.

work you could do to get away from it all:
    fire watcher for the forest service (I think they live out in the middle of nowhere and keep watch for fires in some areas...there is some job with the forest service that's hermit-like, can't remember for sure if this is it...will dig)
    can't think of any others...
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    yeah, that ^ *grin*

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Read "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Their life was pretty self sufficient.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Learn how to tie an umbilical cord?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Genevieve is offline Member
    I always wanted to buy 500 acres and build a nice place for my family and I to be self-sufficient and away from the hustle-and-bustle of city life. For most that is impossible, so I say start small, and learn as much as you can. We're doing what follows right now though, which is just awesome.

First thing I would do would be to by land. Enough so that you and your family can live off of comfortably. If there's already a house on it then you can slowly make it self-sufficient, there are lots of "modern" ways to do this. Check out the book Building Green. Personally I wouldn't want to live in a hut, in Canada winters are COLD. We bought a repo house and land and demolished and rebuild the way we wanted it to be. We've got the woodstove for heating, and are looking into a windmill for electricity. We've got our own well and a water source on the property. After securing a shelter/house/living quarters (also check out Yurts, amazing), build a barn/chicken coop, fenced in area for cows, pigs, goats for milk and meat, chickens, turkeys...and then plant your garden. Make it big enough to plan enough for a yr's worth of fruit and veggies, and harvest your own seeds from that first yr. Can, store, freeze, whatever floats your boat, but have enough so that you don't run out in February . For heating supply, make sure you can find and cut your own wood, either on your property or you can trade with a neighbour or friend if they have land and want it cleared of deadfall. Speaking of trading, learn a craft and trade with others for what you need. You won't be able to do everything yourself if you are not living within a group like Grok did, so trading is the best (and most rewarding) way to go.

And do what Kaylee99 suggested, good ideas there! We've been planning this for 8 yrs, and are slowly realizing our dream. It takes time, money, and knowledge. Time we have, money we do not, and we are learning as we go.
    Start weight - 193lbs March 21st
    Current weight - 181lbs June 1st
    Goal weight - 145lbs

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." Gloria Steinem

My Primal Journey BLOG

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Just about anything you need to know on that subject can be found here: The Survival Podcast Forum - Index

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast