Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month in, not going so well! page

MinimalMe is offline Junior Member

1 month in, not going so well!

Shop Now
    At one month in, I've lost only 4 lbs, I'm sick with the first cold I've had in almost a year, my energy levels are unchanged. SO I'm not very impressed so far. I'm a minimalist runner, so my activity levels are pretty good, trail running a few times a week (it's done wonders for my health!). Going to give it another month, I hope I turn a corner here soon! I read the book, it all makes sense, I want it to work, and I do feel like my body is "quieter", none of the gurgling, churning I used to associate with normal food processing, but I'm not seeing any tangible results. I was really hoping for more energy, that was the main thing for me. The only thing I can think of is that my diet was already pretty healthy, lots of veggies and fruit, no fast food or junk food, so maybe it will take longer to see an effect. Anyone else have the experience of needing a few months before seeing benefits?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMe View Post
    At one month in, I've lost only 4 lbs, I'm sick with the first cold I've had in almost a year, my energy levels are unchanged. SO I'm not very impressed so far. I'm a minimalist runner, so my activity levels are pretty good, trail running a few times a week (it's done wonders for my health!). Going to give it another month, I hope I turn a corner here soon! I read the book, it all makes sense, I want it to work, and I do feel like my body is "quieter", none of the gurgling, churning I used to associate with normal food processing, but I'm not seeing any tangible results. I was really hoping for more energy, that was the main thing for me. The only thing I can think of is that my diet was already pretty healthy, lots of veggies and fruit, no fast food or junk food, so maybe it will take longer to see an effect. Anyone else have the experience of needing a few months before seeing benefits?
    If your diet was already healthy with veggies and fruit, what changes did you make?

How many calories are you eating, how old are you, how tall are you, how much do you weight now?

How strict have you been with the diet? Are you cheating?

How much sleep are you getting?

How many carbs are you eating? Have you been possibly slipping slowly into ketosis without realizing it?

So.... to answer your question, I have given you many questions.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Please answer the questions that Rivvin asked. Then we an help you a lot easier.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MinimalMe is offline Junior Member

Re. Rivvin's Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    If your diet was already healthy with veggies and fruit, what changes did you make? (I eliminated grains.)

How many calories are you eating, how old are you, how tall are you, how much do you weight now? Calories? (no idea, didn't know I needed to track. Age 43, 5'10", 175 lbs.)

How strict have you been with the diet? Are you cheating? (Pretty strict, allow myself one day a week to maybe have some rice noodle pho or corn tortillas in migas. I found yam-based noodles at the chinese grocery so now I don't have to cheat with the pho.)

How much sleep are you getting? (7 hours on ave. Not enough.)

How many carbs are you eating? Have you been possibly slipping slowly into ketosis without realizing it? (No idea, I don't measure/track carbs and protein, I just make a salad or stir-fried veggies in olive oil the main part of my meal, with eggs or sardines or tuna or steak. I got the impression from the book that if you were eating primally, your body would naturally find a balance point with your activity level and you wouldn't overeat.)

(SO, you think that maybe I'm just eating too much, eh? Even of the good stuff.)

So.... to answer your question, I have given you many questions.
    (My replies are in parentheses above. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You're probably not eating enough to fuel your activity, I'd add in some sweet potatoes, squash, starch in general. I always also recommend upping the meat and eggs, but that's just because I'm a protein/fat fiend.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    My first recommendation to you is to track you food for a couple days by putting it into livestrong, fitday, or another similar application. It's true that once you are in tune with your body and diet you don't need to track calories, but when you are not making progress or don't feel right, it is pretty much the best tool you will have for fixing whatever is going on.

My first thoughts are that you are probably lacking calories and carbs and are gassing out because of your trail walking / running or you are slipping in and out of ketogenic phases.

If you can put the info into those sites and then give us the results, I guarantee you someone here can give you some awesome feedback.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    What is your primary goal? Weight loss or enhanced athletic performance?

The two goals are at odds with one another. If you are losing a pound a week then that's great, but it also means that you're not getting enough calories for *optimal* athletic performance.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    A pound a week. Excellent. Keep it up.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    at 5'10" and 175, you don't have much to lose! So 4 lbs is great. On the days that I am tired, I find a bite of coconut oil or some other fat really makes a difference. I'm one month in too, same height, with A LOT to lose.

Ciri is offline Junior Member
    I am in the same boat, I was very healthy SAD before switching to primal...primal is working somewhat but not working the way I would want to. I say to stick with it for some time and start tweaking things - try IF's, try sprints, adjust ratios of carbs/protein/fat etc. I think the whole eat and don't measure anything works for people who need to lose a lot of weight but when you get closer to the actual goal whether it is a weight loss or improved performance, it's simply not enough anymore and you have to start measuring...unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast