Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Primal for female athlete not working?? page 4

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciri View Post
    Alex: Female professional beach volleyball player and female crossfitters...yep total oxymoron
    Giving PB a try mid season probably wasn't a good idea. You should eat the way you need to maintain performance. Make dietary changes in the off season.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

Your body is obviously not accustomed to burning fat for fuel yet. The fact you're having to up your carb intake to maintain performance is likely proof of this.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Hey I used to be in a similar situation as you. I'm a female competitive athlete as well (NCAA D1 and in the National program for my sport). I started PB/paleo over a year ago and have battled fatigue and poor sleep and other things you mentioned. The fact of the matter is as elite athletes we cannot get sucked in to the fear of carbs that many people on this site have. And I know it's hard not to when you read the forums! I do believe in low-carb for fat loss or for non-competitive athletes. I think it has a whole host of benefits and will probably eat low-ish carb primal when I am done being an athlete. However, training 2-3 times a day for hours at a time and weeks on end DOES NOT mesh well with low carb. Seriously, I've tried. And when I say low carb in that situation I mean anywhere under 120g a day. Your performance, which is the most important thing hands down, will plateau and then slowly decline. It is not worth it! I eat at least one of potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, squash, and other starchy foods every day I train (even if it is a lighter day) and I'm recovering and improving finally. I also eat berries, apples, bananas and other fruit without thinking twice, as well as gatorade peri- or post-workout. I was scared of carbs for a while after reading the forums too much. As soon as I started adding more starches and fruit I just felt so much better. Over 200g a day is standard now for a training day.

Just remember you are a competitive athlete! Most people on here, though they work out, are not. Don't get sucked in.
    Good luck!

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I thought I'd share my progress. My body is doing a lot better fuelling on fats now and I can do more physical activity. I would agree that eating some starch and fruit can be a great thing for the more physically active. I just keep my carbs between 100-200 grams now, depending on my level of activity. I do make sure I eat plenty as fat aswell so that my calorie from fats ratio doesn't drop below 50%. I should note that I don't exercise as extreme and rigorous as you do. I do strength training and skateboarding, both activity in which I can determine my own pace, I get to make my own rules, so it's more easy to adapt a more slow-paced practice of it (which I found to actually ENHANCE learning, enjoyment and performance because I can focus better and be in less of a hectic-hurry-frenzy like I used to be when I was in a more hyperactive state from eating a high carb (450g a day) diet).

Hvrafnur is offline Junior Member
    A bit off topic:
    17.2% body fat, 6-pack
    6-pack with that "high" ammount of fat? Everyone is different, but usally, its more like 11ish and down for a 6-pack. Congrats to you, i guess

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvrafnur View Post
    A bit off topic:

6-pack with that "high"
    mmount of fat? Everyone is different, but usally, its more like 11ish and down for a 6-pack. Congrats to you, i guess

17 is low for a female...11 for bad is for a guy

RLaVigna is offline Junior Member
    Ciri,

You sound nice. Don't compare your weight to another woman your same height. You should judge what you think of yourself by your overall fitness level and how you feel. If you have a few extra pounds compared to what...then so be it. Don't let that define you.

Ciri is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Giving PB a try mid season probably wasn't a good idea. You should eat the way you need to maintain performance. Make dietary changes in the off season.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

Your body is obviously not accustomed to burning fat for fuel yet. The fact you're having to up your carb intake to maintain performance is likely proof of this.
    js290 and vb66: You were unfortunately right. Trying to transition to PB 2-3 months before my main competitions was not a good idea and I put my enitre season in jeopardy. My mistake as I honestly did not think it would take months and months. I am heavily modifying PB for this season as I can no longer maintain my performance while eating low carbs. I suffered an injury and the healing is not progressing normally either. The medical checks revealed depleted organism some of which is definitely from the fact my body was not able to deal with low carb, fatigue and poor sleep while heavily training. I did take a daily vitamins etc but suffered prolonged carb flu (energy levels out of whack, inability to sleep, lightheaded etc), the obvious signs of which I dismissed and kept on training hoping that it is a simple glitch and the turn to fat-metabolism is just around the corner. My body finally crashed unable to sustain the energy demands and now the recovery is of the utmost importance. I will continue to eat slightly more fat but am incorporating a lot more carbs (potatoes, fruit, white rice, occasional grains) and also adding a diary (milk, yogurts). I am averaging around 300g now. I will try again once the season is over to lower it and try to transition to PB fully but right now healing and playing is a top priority. It's already getting better.

Also to js290: Thank you for the link to the blog of Michael Eades, I already check their site regularly. I also read Leangains (Martin Berkhan) and The Lean Saloon (Johnny Nguyen)...it's little bit different approach but works quite well too.

Edje: Glad to hear your transitioning is finally going well...hope you will be a happy Grok in no time!!

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry to hear that, I made the same assumption that you did, thinking I could switch over easily and smoothly to PB while sustaining the activity I did. The bigger part of my crash has already been passed, but I'm still dealing with some challenges. I've just completed 8 weeks of full primal, but am not back up to speed yet. The fact was/is, I was dealing with health issues (inflammations being the biggest factor) that I didn't know were dragging me down that much (I just pushed thru them with a 'tough guy' mentality and a high carb fuel). After all, I had high aspirations that needed to be acted towards (weight training, skateboarding, etc). In the mean-time I was hardly gaining muscle, nor was my skating progressing. When I went low-carb I crashed out and hard (funny enough I also gained muscle even though I was hardly working out). At that point, I just completely surrendered to it and decided to sit out the low-carb flu and decrease my training and activity levels.
    Now I'm 8 weeks in full-primal and still dealing with health challenges (you can read about them here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32316.html), so I'm a bit concerned at this point. I just hope all will be well in a few weeks. Challenges have shown up and they've resolved themselves after time, so at some point my body must have healed all the ailments that I never even knew I had before :P

As you're in the middle of a season, you're probably right in postponing the transition. You never know what you're body has in store for you, so better to go full primal when you've got the time and space to allow for it. Best of luck!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234