Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal for female athlete not working?? page 2

Ciri is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Ok, now I am confused. Some of you recommend to go up with carbs and some of you to cut back. Also, cut back on protein (@js290) ?? How much - if im 19.9% body fat, that's about 120lbs of lean mass so I thought I should be eating about as much protein in grams?? I usually get between 100-120g/day.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciri View Post
    Ok, now I am confused. Some of you recommend to go up with carbs and some of you to cut back.
    It depends on whether or not you want your body to use carbs as its primary source of fuel or if you want to become more fat adapted (ketosis).
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    If you are training intensely that many times a week you will need to eat more carbohydrates. Post workout is the best time to have your carbs but it wouldn't hurt to have some throughout the day as well. I wouldn't worry about the body fat as women tend to get health issues when they go under 20%.

If you are going to train like an athlete you can't eat VLC otherwise your cortisol will be through the roof!
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    If you are going to train like an athlete you can't eat VLC otherwise your cortisol will be through the roof!
    Eh. That's not been my experience as long as I get targeted carbs pre-workout. I stay under 100g/day overall and I actively compete in boxing.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Raen is offline Member
    I'd absolutely up your carbs. 8 weeks is long enough to know that what you're doing isn't working. I'd try keeping everything the same and just adding more fruit and potatoes/rice, accepting that this will bump you up a couple hundred calories a day. If after a while you still feel like it's too many calories, cut back on fat a bit. Clearly you need more carbs for the amount of work you do, just make sure they aren't coming from flour or sugar, and I think you'll be fine. Like you, my body does NOT like VLC, it makes me sick and I don't lose weight on it. But I do think this way of eating and living is worth it, even if it takes a while to figure out how to make it work for you. Good luck!

AmyKickass is offline Junior Member
    Ok, now I am confused. Some of you recommend to go up with carbs and some of you to cut back. Also, cut back on protein (@js290) ?? How much - if im 19.9% body fat, that's about 120lbs of lean mass so I thought I should be eating about as much protein in grams?? I usually get between 100-120g/day.
    I totally agree-this is confusing! I'm new at this too, and finding that everyone here is passionate about primal and really wants to share. The thing is that every body is different and what works for one person may not work for another. The bottom line is listen to your body. Adjust where you need to adjust.

I haven't read it yet, but there is a new book about individualizing paleo that might help.
    Peace. Love. Steak.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Ok, now I am confused - some of you are recommending to eat more carbs and eliminate some of the fat and now I need to cut back on protein and eat less carbs?? With 19.9% body fat puts me within 120lb of lean mass so I thought I should eat about as much protein in grams. So go less than that <100g? Carbs more or less? I'd like to figure protein/carbs first and fill the rest with fat depending on my satiety levels but I am thoroughly confused now.
    I'll try to respond with some general ideas as specifics vary with each person. You'll be able to figure out what works for you once you understand why you're wanting to do any of this.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    Eh. That's not been my experience as long as I get targeted carbs pre-workout. I stay under 100g/day overall and I actively compete in boxing.
    If you are doing glycolytic intense work or training/competing 7hrs on tournament days like the OP then you will need more carbs. It isn't about what works OK, but about what works best to improve performance if you are an athlete. Eating for health and optimal performance are two different things. There is a reason the majority of athletes don't even VLC.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmm im almost 5'8(use to be at least) and 137 would prolly be a good weight for me to get to so ill tell you what works for me.

i think you workout to much- theres a line between hormonal activity positively for women and excessively. i think the fact your storing fat signals excessive exercise. this blocks necessary estrogen signaling and raises cortisol which plummets your bodys response to exercise you SHOULD get, meaning gaining muscle and staying in homeostasis with your hormonal activity.

i wouldnt lower protein but make sure yourgetting it from a variety of sources. eggs/fish/beef/ORGANS/bonestock etc.

if you lower the amount of exercise your doing and seclude your carbs for days you workout it will benefit you. on rest days stick to walks(get lots of sun) and get in good fatty fish/nuts/avocados/eggs and fatty beef. when you workout stick to meat eating it as it comes(dont fry it in butter) and eat some primal carbs

my n=1 experience is that working out raises your insulin sensitivty, thus making more carbs eaten those days readily available(givenyou have the amino stores to use them and not in a deficit). when i dont do anything intense i like to have at least 1-2 cans of sardines or salmon(with skin/bone) because they help assist hormonal balance as well as coconut stuff and generally higher fat. you have to learn to work with your body and not against it, also i dont shy away from the mac nuts.

but in general i eat like 2x the amount you do. if you dont give your body enough food you give it a reason to store food- if that makes sense. dont do so much tracking/allocating, just stick to more carbs on workouts less when you dont and IMO it would benefit you to not workout so often

Ciri is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all. I will up my carbs slightly prior to tough workouts and see...will report back on progress!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast