Thread: Easter CANDY and CHOCOLATE! page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Easter CANDY and CHOCOLATE!

Primal Fuel
    This Easter is the first time I've realized how much CANDY this holiday involves...

SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR

Man... my co-workers are giving their kids so much CHOCOLATE and SUGAR... from age 6 months to 5 years old...

I said something about it "you're giving your kids a lot of sugar..." and I get this in reply "oh come now, it's EASTER... they expect candy..."

Primal has been such a conscienceness raiser...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I think I had been repressing childhood Halloweens until now, damn that was a lot of candy. The usual rationalization is that "they are kids, they can handle it" which might be partially true, but how do they think that kids becomes adults who can't, hmm? Just like with many things, the degree to which sweets are enjoyed decreases as the amount of candy consumed increases. If we didn't have this "more is better" attitude the kiddos would be content, even thrilled with a medium-sized chocolate bunny consumed over the course of a week. Sigh.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Our kids (this year) are getting a few small chocolate easter eggs (maybe 20 of the really small ones - like one package), hidden around the house. Next year, I think we may hide little toys in the eggs instead. We never have done much for our kids at easter compared to most parents, but I don't believe that doing this is going to hit their self destruct button - it is part of our 20%.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm hoping the easter bunny brings me beef jerky

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Grok would have just roasted the easter bunny.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I got fired over this. LOL

See, some years ago, it was the Monday after Easter, and a lot of families were in my yoga class. I'd said this was ok, so long as the kids were 8 and up. The parents said we "had to go easy on them" because everyone overate on the holiday. They ate candy, too much ham, potatoes, and green beans, and too much alcohol.

And I pointed out that while the class is always adjusted to the needs of the class, they had to take some responsibility for the state that they were in. They were shocked!

They said "but, its for the kids! the kids should have a holiday!" well, sure, but I asked the various kids -- how much ham did you eat? how many potatoes? how much candy? None of the kids felt sick from overeating or drinking. They were all fine -- and not because they "bounce back" because they are kids, but because -- naturally -- they tend to listen to their bodies.

I also asked the kids why they spent so much money on so many groceries that were so bad for their parents. They laughed. "We don't buy the groceries!" and I said "who buys the groceries?" And they go "my mom! my dad!" and I said, OOOOH, so WHO is responsible for eating too much chocolate, ham, and jelly beans? WHo here is sick from eating too much?

Oh, guess, what, the grown adults. And I said "ahh, so who is responsible for not putting down the fork?" And then I started class.

And then I got fired.

Look, end of the day, I'm speaking the truth, and my boss admitted that I'd done what everyone wishes they could. And I said "then why not do it?" It's the damn truth!

The next year, I did a "how to create a happy, healthy holiday" event two weeks before easter/passover. My friend who is jewish did the passover portion; I did the easter portion." It was *very* cool. We did a lot of healthy recipes, of course, talked about feasting without over-filling yourself, and how to create a fun, healthy "easter basket" where your kid won't feel it's not a holiday (and really, it's about whether the *parents* feel like it's a holiday)."

Parents brought their kid's easter baskets, and we put a pie plate (or siminar) in the bottom and planted wheat grass. I'd boiled some eggs and we used all natural dyes (like using beet root, spinach, onion peels, and so on for pink, green, and yellow respectively). We used origami boxes to hide jelly-beans (which were organic and wheat free -- yes, they had sugar and were dyed with fruit/veggie colorings). I encouraged them to give each child 1/4 to 1/2 cup of jelly beans at most, and in lieu of those, give home-made granola/nut mix. I encouraged them to get the smaller, Lindt super-dark chocolate bunny. I included some pears or other off-season fruit from harry and david (gourmet shop) where they got off season, beautiful produce. I included some art supplies and a sketch book. I also included some wildflower seed packets and instructions on how to make newspaper flower pots (for starting seeds), which is a great spring project!

I had prepared a basket to show them the end result -- which looked fabulous and actually had a lot of healthy elements -- hard boiled eggs, fruit, granola/nuts, one chocolate bunny, and the art supplies. With the natural grass and a big bow, it looked really gorgeous too!

After that, I hosted a "Healthy Happy Holiday!" events before thanksgiving, christmas, and easter pretty much every year.

So, holidays don't *have to* revolve around such craziness.