Thread: Cauliflower & mushroom risotto page

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Cauliflower & mushroom risotto

Shop Now
    Hey peeps,

I made this Cauliflower risotto the other day to go with some BBq ribs, and it tastes just like an actual rice risotto. It was so rich and flavorful, it made me want to cry.

I think I got the idea from one of Jamie Oliver's recipes, but I didn't really followed his and just tried to quickly put something together.
    Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
    3 tbs butter
    1/2 medium head of cauliflower
    1/2 onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 lb mushrooms (I used button mushrooms)
    1 1/2 cups half&half, or 1 cup heavy cream
    salt and pepper to taste

We're all pretty familiar with cauliflower rice and how to make it, right? Well, this recipe calls for cauliflower rice prepared in reverse order. I first put my RAW cauliflower into a food processor with half an onion and a few garlic cloves and made everything to about a size of rice grains. I then sauteed everything in a very generous amount of butter until it started to get soft and got just a bit of color. My chopped mushrooms went in the pan next for just a few more minutes. The last ingredient to go in is either half&half or heavy whipping cream. I had half&half on hand that day, so I used about a cup, cup and a half. Just enough for everything to come to a simmer. Give it about 20 minutes (until fully cooked), sprinkle with fresh parsley and goat cheese, and get ready to go to heaven.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Bookmarked! I had some risotto (made with white rice, the only grain the I allow occasionally) recently that was very tasty. Subbing cauliflower would make risotto a more justifiable/frequent indulgence. The risotto I indulged in over the weekend had green peas and asparagus in it and also the rice had been cooked in chicken broth. Not sure if that would add too much liquid for this recipe, but it certainly added a nice depth of flavor.

lorilr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatechip69 View Post
    Hey peeps,

I made this Cauliflower risotto the other day to .....this recipe calls for cauliflower rice prepared in reverse order.
    Thanks for sharing, I'm storing up cauliflower recipes.

By reverse order do you mean "ricing" the cauliflower before cooking? If so, I stumbled on that idea recently and it made a world of difference for me.

I had tried the "mashed cauliflower potatoes" many years ago and wasn't thrilled with it. Ricing before cooking made the difference.

Lori

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow. I had bookmarked this and just made it for dinner - it is out of this world! I added some fresh thyme, rosemary and nutmeg and used creme fraiche instead of heavy cream. So so good!

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    How do you rice cauliflower?
    ~Sandy

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Rosegin, chop it up a bit and throw it in the food processor. Couple of whirs in there and the cauliflower will be reduced to a couscous consistency

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Oh man! This was amazeballs! Just had it with some brazed short ribs from THIS recipe - Braised Short Ribs Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network - and what a freaking fantastic combination that was.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    This sounds awesome!
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week