Thread: Carbs per meal? page

pmc74 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi all

As a newbie primal, I wanted to ask if anyone who can tell me how many (roughly) carbs per meal can be eaten before 'switching on' fat deposition?

I understand Mark's carb curve which covers a daily basis, but does that mean I could still eat 100g carb in one meal without flicking the switch? And once the switch is flicked, for how long does it take for blood sugar to settle down again? (and for the switch to be flicked off)

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Paul

London

Niklas Guest

It's not like an extra gram of carb is going to turn into 2 pounds of body fat. So I don't believe there's any precise switch. But there's a personal treshold above which you can't control your appetite so well and you eat an excess of food hence getting fatter.

But if you eat 400 calories of sugar, 100 calories of fat and 100 calories of protein... you do lose weight, no matter what. Insulin is not the be all end all of gaining excess weight (if that were the case we would have a non-economical body unfit for survival) and calories still matter. It's a YMMV thing.

emmie is offline Senior Member

If you're talking about invoking the insulin response that enables your body to store fat, it's no more than 10g of carbs per meal. Both Dr Richard Bernstein (the diabetic guru) and Dr. Michael Eades (of Protein Power) recommend limiting carbs to 10g at any given meal. I get a lot of veggies for 10g, but I eat mainly broccoli and spinach.

Baglady is offline Junior Member

for whatever it's worth, a CW dietician told me years ago 1g of fiber per 8g of total carbs, suppose to give a slow response too.

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Niklas Guest

The response that enables the body to store fat is caloric excess itself. Fat can be stored without the need of insulin. When the body signals a continuative caloric excess all fat storing pathways are upregulated. That's probably the reason why are alive, since getting fat for those months when food was scarce was needed to survive on body stored fat. And if the only way to store fat was to eat 10 carbs per meal I doubt we could have stored enough.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Obviously high insulin levels isn't the only cause of fat storage, but it is MUCH easier to put on weight when the levels are high (which I've learned does not occur very significantly at all with veggies for a normal person..) But I do believe it's far more harder to put on weight eating a high fat/high protein diet because even eating such an excess of calories (given it isn't comprised of primal "snacks",) would probably be...painful.

@pmc74, cutting out grains/potatoes/starches and eating mostly meat and fat should be enough to "switch" over to fat-burning mode. I noticed that when I switched over to burning fat, my hunger wasn't as intense or as frequent, so that may be an indication to you as well...Eat your vegetables (cooked in fat, of course!), treat yourself to fruit when you need something sweet, and don't get crazy with the nuts and you should be well on your way. Have fun!

pmc74 Guest

Thanks guys for all your responses, that helps a lot.

Does anyone know how long your insulin remains high for after a 'shot' of carbs?

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

pmc74, check out this thread about how long insulin "remains" after eating carbs.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-response-last

I was wondering the same thing. Only one time answer (2+ hrs) but the other comments have good info in them as well.