Thread: Kerry's Primal Journal page

KerryE is offline Junior Member

Kerry's Primal Journal

I'm just starting out. I mean really just starting out. I've been researching and reading blogs and the book for about two weeks. Monday, I decided grain free was a good place to start and not too intimidating. And now I'm in the midst of that terrible carb flu feeling and decided to come say "Hi!"

I turned 29 last fall and was pretty much disgusted with the last 10 years. I had gained a 120 pounds in 10 years. Gone from an active 19-year-old with a baby in a hiking pack and a physical labor job to a sit-at-a-desk all day blob. And I looked at my grandparents and their siblings - Active Great-Uncle Jack (who still raises or grows most of his own food at 70) and by contrast, my paternal grandparents who are only a small step from selling their home to shift to assisted living. I know who I want to be like. I have PCOS and thyroid levels that are borderline and I'm not even 30 yet. It's NOT acceptable.

In late December and January, I did a round of the HCG diet. I know - terrible for me - but effective. I lost 34 pounds in 41 days. Going from 225 pounds to 191 pounds at 5'6" tall. I gave myself injections, weighed every food, and weighed myself every day. It was HARD. It worked but I never wanted to do it again. After I stabilized (3 more weeks of daily weighing and carful calorie/carb/fat control), I looked for something else.

I tried the conventional low fat, low calorie, high carb type of plan and I was hungry and tired all of the time. Then, I was poking around the net and discovered primal on one of the low-carb forums. I downloaded the book from amazon and devoured it in a few hours. Then I started searching the blogs. It just seems to make so much sense. Not just a diet, but a new way of life.

I'm in the habit of daily weighing in still from the HCG plan and I really see a lot of fluctuations with my monthly cycle since my birth control is non-hormonal. So I have been taking a cycle average and hoping to see that number trend downwards.

I'll probably weigh in here daily and give you guys a list of what I ate and we'll see where I can make improvements or where there are more primal alternatives. That was really helpful in the HCG forum.
    ----------
    Weights so far:
    4/18 (my first grain free day) - 188
    4/19 - 186.8
    4/20 - 186.2

4/20 was my first primal-ish day (not just grain free).

Breakfast: eggs & sausage
    Snack at my desk/lunch - celery with cream cheese, sliced cucumber, a couple spoons of sunflower butter
    Dinner - steak on the grill, rare

Activity: helping the pitcher warm up before my daughter's softball game (catching and throwing) and walking the dog

My morning weight today: 184.2

Tuna Salad for brunch today, heavy on the mayo with celery as the delivery mechanism.
    I was entirely un-hungry until I had a handful of grapes just before leaving work at 5. Now, I'm starved.

Dinner will be:
    Mozzarella balls and tomatoes, marinating in olive oil with some spices all day - dumped over baby spinach and probably a hamburger patty or two on the side. The kid and his buddy are eating cheeseburgers and baked potatoes with sour cream.

Am I hungry because I haven't eaten since around 11 or hungry because I had some grapes? And why would grapes make me hungry? But I wasn't hungry before I ate them. I just like grapes and my co-worker was going to throw them away because his wife packed them and he didn't want them.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully I've absorbed this info correctly (that I'm passing on to you here) ... grapes are high-sugar fruits, can cause insulin spikes which can cause hunger/cravings. Try switching to berries - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. Even half an apple is better than a handful of grapes. Apples are also nice delivery mechanisms for almond butter

Morning Weight: 184.6

Didn't eat anything after dinner last night. I did go for a long slow walk with the dog. I am so totally out of shape so if it's long, it has to be a slow walk. A little over 3 miles on a nice evening felt pretty good. And my first long barefoot walk of the season. My feet are soft and tender on the bottoms this time of year. I've been wearing vibram five fingers most of the winter unless there was snow, so my feet are still strong at least.

Breakfast: blueberry egg cream - 2 eggs, some heavy cream, a handful of blueberries and seltzer water. I used to make them either chocolate or vanilla ages ago when I did atkins with Torini sugar-free syrup but I had to be very careful not to overdo the sugar free stuff because it gives me migraines. I realize now that if I have to be THAT careful with it to avoid migraines, I probably shouldn't be eating it at all. The blueberries were a good substitute, though not as sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Hopefully I've absorbed this info correctly (that I'm passing on to you here) ... grapes are high-sugar fruits, can cause insulin spikes which can cause hunger/cravings. Try switching to berries - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. Even half an apple is better than a handful of grapes. Apples are also nice delivery mechanisms for almond butter
    That makes sense. Thanks. So the blueberries this morning should be fine, especially since they were combined with protein.
    Last edited by KerryE; 04-23-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: fix typos

AverageJoe is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on starting PB. Best of luck to you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday after breakfast was pretty non-stop - work, stop at the pet store on the way home to grab dog treats (freeze dried raw venison, he has been a grain free dog for 2 years), grab the dog and the child, rush to agility class, enjoy agility class, drop the child off at Grandma's for the night before going home.

I browsed for quick gas-station food to eat. I usually would grab a hot dog. I need to find some primal options to keep in the car, I think. I ended up with one of those Naked Protein Juice Smoothies. Maybe I should look for primal approved protein powder and then just add it to bottled water? I wasn't really hungry...I just felt like I "should" have some sort of fuel before class. Normally I would have been starved at that point.

Activity: Agility Class - bursts of jogging and/or running when it's my turn to send the dog through the obstacles and keep up with him/ahead of him.
    And I helped to clean up the equipment after class which might be lifting heavy things.

Ate some leftover chicken salad with a spoon when I got home around nine. My significant other was eating ice cream and I had to have something (again, not really hungry). Chicken salad is definitely better for me than ice cream.

10 hours in bed - maybe 7-8 of that sleeping, the rest reading on my kindle during my usual middle of the night wake up period. I have odd sleep patterns.

Morning Weight: 183.6

Butter in tea this morning for breakfast. Calories + fat + caffeine - no carbs and yummy