Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone workout while fasting? page

citiusaltiusfortius is offline Junior Member

anyone workout while fasting?

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing it lately and it feels good. I just don't buy all the hype that you must eat protein/carbs directly after working out. I mean when we were kids I would be outside all day and if I climbed a tree I didn't go eat a protein shake directly afterward and i was strong and lean. Sometimes food sounds horrible to me after I workout and I dont want any. My next fast is going to be 48 hours long while working out both days.

Thoughts?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I (and many other members here) fast pre-workout (a la Leangains). And Mark (Sisson) usually abstains from eating anything for a few hours post-workout. I think for optimal muscle gains, you should try to get some nutrition close to your workout. Your plan will probably result in some muscle loss, but also probably a good bit of fat loss. If you feel alright, don't worry about it. And if it's just an occasional thing, you'll be fine.

Well I normally workout first thing in the morning after not eating for 12-15 hours. I have done that for over a year now. I have become a lot leaner and feel much healthier. When I would eat before I workout I would always cramp up and all that. But I use to eat right after I workout and I would always feel sick. So now I dont eat before or after... last time i worked out and didnt eat for 25 hours straight and felt really good. I also believe fasting increases healing. I recent sprained my ankle sunday morning going out for a trail run and I am already back to running since yesterday with no pain. didn't use ice or ibuprofen.. just let my body use its only healing powers. my own "Qi"

rockrunner Guest
    I almost never eat anything before I workout each morning...well sometimes 1 spoonful of chia seeds in a glass of water. I do the IF thing just about everyday and do eat something within an hour after working out. I don't do any weight training only low intensity running, biking and swimming. I feel great and recover well...been Primal now since last October.

nice rockrunner. im still not fully primal. but i do like the concept of primal living. I enjoy lifting heavy things, it really does mentally make me feel better by trying the hardest I can a couple days out of the week with the heaviest weights I can safely lift!

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I lift weights Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings after having fasted for 12 hours and I don't generally eat until noon.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I usually workout fasted - feels much better, don't get that "I'm gonna vomit" feeling when the intensity gets high. Tomorrow I'll be fasting all day for Good Friday and I have a deadlift/powerclean workout planned, so we'll see how that goes.

awesome. glad to hear im not the only one. all the conventional wisdom says you must eat after working out!!!!! or your going to die!!! lol

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I fast 16-20 hours every day. Every 5 days I fast 40+ hours. I workout every 3 days, ie two days of rest for every workout. The last time I did the mini 2 day fast, it was deadlift day and because the cycles are not in perfect sync, it happened to fall on day 1 of the fast. So, of course, I went to the gym and did my thing. Pulled 370, beating my previous, non fasted session by 20 lbs. And, as per schedule, I broke my fast the next day in the evening. It apparently has not killed me.

-PK

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by citiusaltiusfortius View Post
    I have been doing it lately and it feels good. I just don't buy all the hype that you must eat protein/carbs directly after working out. I mean when we were kids I would be outside all day and if I climbed a tree I didn't go eat a protein shake directly afterward and i was strong and lean. Sometimes food sounds horrible to me after I workout and I dont want any. My next fast is going to be 48 hours long while working out both days.

Thoughts?
    I do it - provides for great lifting sessions. However, I definitely have not overcome some of the lightheadedness, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast