Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef and eggplant recipe of delicious. page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Kashk Bademjan via Marjan

INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground beef preferably very lean (there will be plenty of other fat!)

4-5 Japanese eggplant, or 3 medium regular eggplants*, peeled and cut into roughly 3cm cubes

1 small onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 T turmeric

1/4 cup tomato paste

salt

1/4 c sour cream

dried mint

lard for cooking (or oil if you prefer)

*If you're using regular eggplant, you ll need a saltwater soak. Make some very salty water in a big bowl, add eggplant and cover with a plate. Weigh it down with a can or cup or something. You want all the eggplant to be submerged. After about 30 mins, drain and continue with recipe.

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pan/pot/wok over medium high heat, brown ground beef well. Remove beef from pan and set aside.

2. Add to the pan the chopped onion. If there isn't enough fat left from the beef, add some lard. Brown the onion very well (see pic below). Add the garlic and cook for about 3-5 more mins, until cooked but not burned. Set aside with the beef (I just add it to one big bowl).

3. Add about 1/4 cup lard to the pan and let heat for a minute. Add all the eggplant and stir very fast until its all coated.

4. Add about 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover. The steam will help the egg plant begin to cook. When the water is almost gone, uncover and fry until the eggplant is very soft and brown, stirring every few mins.

5. Add the beef and onion/garlic mixture back to the pan, and add the turmeric and tomato paste. Stir to combine. You'll want to mash up the eggplant pieces a little too, just until they are a little smaller than bite size. I like mine a little chunky though traditionally it supposed to be a smooth, homogeneous mixture. Add sour cream. Salt to taste (about 1 t for me).

6. Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with dried mint fried in a little oil. I like a lot of mint, but base it on your taste. Usually this is served with lavash bread (similar to pita... kinda) but since I don't eat bread (MOST of the time) I made some cauliflower chips to go with it.

Cauliflower Chips

INGREDIENTS

1 head cauliflower

EVOO or coconut oil, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Cut cauliflower in half. Place halves cut side down and slice into 1/4-1/3 inch slices.

3. Spread out on a baking sheet in one layer (may take 2 pans) and coat in EVOO or melted CO.

4. Bake for about 20 mins. Flip the slices over and bake 20 more mins, or until browned and slightly crispy.

Here's my whole post (WITH PICS):

http://tarablogsabouteverything.blog...-bademjan.html

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

WOW, TT!!!

That sounds like a splendid meal. I'm SO going to make that...if I ever get paid ;-)

It is SOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

maba is offline Senior Member

I made it this weekend from TT's blog and my verdict: 2 thumbs up! I didn't have time to make the cauli chips but I'm sure the combo wd have tasted fabulous.

Thanks Maba (again!). I saw that salmon salad plug too, lol. <3 ya.

I submitted it for the beef recipe thing (a couple days late due to a broken comp monitor) but it hasnt been posted so I just put it in the forums.

go_ginger_go Guest

The pictures made my mouth water. I need to get the Japanese eggplants and then will make this. Can&#39;t wait to try the cauliflower chips.

shalon is offline Junior Member

Tara Tootie, you have amazing timing! I was just wondering what in the world I am going to do with an unexpected amount of frozen ground beef that I got out of my share of a 1/4 locally grown beef. I am not the hugest fan of ground beef in general and so I am looking for interesting ways to doctor it up. I have a couple pounds thawing in the fridge right now, I&#39;ll have to make this my next trial.

kuno1chi; if you lived even remotely close I&#39;d ship you a couple of these packages. I hope you get paid soon!

Shalon:

You are WAY too sweet!!!

I&#39;m not starving in any way, shape, or form. Hopefully I&#39;ll have a check in my mailbox tomorrow, then all will be well (and bills will get paid).

Thank You<3

shalon is offline Junior Member

Thank goodness, kuno1chi! Wouldn&#39;t want you to starve.

It brings up a line of thought for me; it&#39;s amazing how comforting it is to know that I have a freezer stocked to the top with grass fed beef and hog. I feel extremely fortunate.

Shalon: Besides...I could live on my thighs for about three months, anyway (a different sort of food storage ;-) ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast