Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An article that directly relates to the biases on this (and other) forums page

helpful is offline Junior Member

An article that directly relates to the biases on this (and other) forums

Shop Now
    The article is called "The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science"

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...e-chris-mooney

Basically it states that people will stick to their held beliefs even if there is hard evidence that goes against it. I find reading this forum to be funny at times because of the way studies and articles are posted and commented on. When an article or study that goes along with PB, everyone is very quick to accept it and say that it is the truth. Then when something comes along that goes against PB, people automatically try to find a way to discredit or disprove it. Why isn't there the same sort of scrutiny going on between both articles? It is because of a serious bias that many people on this board (and on vegetarian boards, fat is the devil boards, etc.)

One example was that guy that lost weight and improved his lipids by eating pretty much twinkies and other hostess products but ate less calories than his maintenance. Now people commenting on it were saying he was naturally skinny, that would never work for me and I would gain weight, it was stupid and the guy will get diabetes and heart disease now, etc. Then people watch a movie like fat head where someone does the same sort of thing but eats a diet that is more in line with what is on this forum and people praise him and act like it proves that low carb is the best way to eat. Fathead shows low carb is a healthy way to eat as much as the twinkie diet shows that processed sugar foods is the way to eat...but on these boards one guy was blasted and the other guy was praised.

I just saw a thread where one guy said that his blood lipids were very good while following a CW diet. Then he started eating primal and his trigs and hdl stayed about the same but his ldl went from good to concerning (I believe it more than doubled). In fact most of the threads I see about cholesterol on this forum are "Why does my doctor say I am in horrible health because of my super high cholesterol?" So instead of listening to the doctor (he is CW after all) people come on here and rationalize. They make it seem like cholesterol is not a risk factor in heart disease and discredit studies that say that it is because the diet they follow as dogma makes for high cholesterol. Then you cherry pick different studies that support that claim because it supports the claim of high cholesterol.

Now some of you will say "yeah, well I feel great on this diet...obviously this diet is healthy." Well why don't you go to some vegetarian or low fat forums and see what people are saying about how they feel. They feel GREAT too. How can they feel great if they are eating grains and all sorts of "poisons" and "toxins?" I think there are a couple answers to this. First of all grains aren't that bad for you and I can cite a ton of studies that suggest this fact. In fact, any study on whole grains that I have seen has shown that they improve health. Now everyone here will have million rationalizations on why that happens but will accept a study stating saturated fats aren't bad for you as truth without batting an eye. The other reason why people feel great on these other diets has to do with the placebo effect. If you tell yourself that something will make you feel better, and truly believe it, 9 times out of 10, it will make you feel better.

Basically, I just want you guys to think a little bit. Think about all the studies you have read that go against your way of dieting and think about your rationalizations regarding those studies and why they are inaccurate. Now I want you to think if scrutinize the studies that agree with the PB the same degree.

According to the link that I posted, most of you will completely dismiss what I am saying. PB is your dogma, your religion, you won't go against it. But I just want you to think outside the box, try to remove your biases a bit, and think about the rationalizations that go on here on a daily basis.
    Last edited by helpful; 04-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    I dismiss this completely.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    This is against my beliefs so I eschew it.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Of course there is a bias, you are posting on a paleo diet specific forum. Go to a running forum, I bet all those people will be biased towards running.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Wow. YOU nailed it. I haven't researched a single thing for 20 some years of dieting -- I've just believed everything I was told the entire time. But heck, if it doesn't go with what I think I know, it must be poppycock. Of course. What is that I hear? The sound of the rat piper? I must now follow blindly...

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helpful View Post
    The article is called "The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science"

The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science | Mother Jones

Basically it states that people will stick to their held beliefs even if there is hard evidence that goes against it. I find reading this forum to be funny at times because of the way studies and articles are posted and commented on. When an article or study that goes along with PB, everyone is very quick to accept it and say that it is the truth. Then when something comes along that goes against PB, people automatically try to find a way to discredit or disprove it. Why isn't there the same sort of scrutiny going on between both articles? It is because of a serious bias that many people on this board (and on vegetarian boards, fat is the devil boards, etc.)

One example was that guy that lost weight and improved his lipids by eating pretty much twinkies and other hostess products but ate less calories than his maintenance. Now people commenting on it were saying he was naturally skinny, that would never work for me and I would gain weight, it was stupid and the guy will get diabetes and heart disease now, etc. Then people watch a movie like fat head where someone does the same sort of thing but eats a diet that is more in line with what is on this forum and people praise him and act like it proves that low carb is the best way to eat. Fathead shows low carb is a healthy way to eat as much as the twinkie diet shows that processed sugar foods is the way to eat...but on these boards one guy was blasted and the other guy was praised.

I just saw a thread where one guy said that his blood lipids were very good while following a CW diet. Then he started eating primal and his trigs and hdl stayed about the same but his ldl went from good to concerning (I believe it more than doubled). In fact most of the threads I see about cholesterol on this forum are "Why does my doctor say I am in horrible health because of my super high cholesterol?" So instead of listening to the doctor (he is CW after all) people come on here and rationalize. They make it seem like cholesterol is not a risk factor in heart disease and discredit studies that say that it is because the diet they follow as dogma makes for high cholesterol. Then you cherry pick different studies that support that claim because it supports the claim of high cholesterol.

Now some of you will say "yeah, well I feel great on this diet...obviously this diet is healthy." Well why don't you go to some vegetarian or low fat forums and see what people are saying about how they feel. They feel GREAT too. How can they feel great if they are eating grains and all sorts of "poisons" and "toxins?" I think there are a couple answers to this. First of all grains aren't that bad for you and I can cite a ton of studies that suggest this fact. In fact, any study on whole grains that I have seen has shown that they improve health. Now everyone here will have million rationalizations on why that happens but will accept a study stating saturated fats aren't bad for you as truth without batting an eye. The other reason why people feel great on these other diets has to do with the placebo effect. If you tell yourself that something will make you feel better, and truly believe it, 9 times out of 10, it will make you feel better.

Basically, I just want you guys to think a little bit. Think about all the studies you have read that go against your way of dieting and think about your rationalizations regarding those studies and why they are inaccurate. Now I want you to think if scrutinize the studies that agree with the PB the same degree.

According to the link that I posted, most of you will completely dismiss what I am saying. PB is your dogma, your religion, you won't go against it. But I just want you to think outside the box, try to remove your biases a bit, and think about the rationalizations that go on here on a daily basis.
    I appreciate this. One of the big flaws with the PB cult is it is based on a diet that one, obviously varied significantly by population group, and two, can never actually be known with certainty. It pre-dates history. It's only guesses, although in most cases well founded guesses. However, the big caveat that gets neglected is that people can eat really unhealthy food and live to reproductive age. That's why all the emphasis on getting it "right" by tweaking all the variables is just a big circle jerk.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Of course there is a bias, you are posting on a paleo diet specific forum. Go to a running forum, I bet all those people will be biased towards running.
    Nah...pretty much we think running is stupid...we do it anyway
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Good post, helpful. A bit long winded, but you raise a valid point.

I'm off to go stuff my face with twinkies now!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Haha, probably a bad example!

I don't really understand the "cult" word being thrown around so much. I work from home, get bored at times, so I like to hang out here and enjoy a little humor and debate about food. Not sure what is cultish about that.

ETA: Disregarding research is how most of us ended up in the low fat CW model of eating, so it is extremely important too keep an open mind and not become complacent again just because it is easier to go with the PB flow.
    Last edited by supersellen; 04-21-2011 at 06:11 AM.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Nah...running is smart and fabulous in my opinion!

Good post, helpful. A bit long winded, but you raise a valid point.
    A totally valid point.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast