Thread: Does fruit get too bad a press ?? page

davidy48 is offline Junior Member

Does fruit get too bad a press ??

I'm writing this post very probably still under the influence of the many years of CW brainwashing and the " 5 pieces a day " mantra, but still with a question mark. Probably due to my very sweet tooth, I love fruit in all its forms, and before coming to PB ate loads of it per day. Yet Dr Kurt Harris, in my book an equally gifted commentator on things Paleo to Mark, describes fruit as "a candy bar from a tree ". These days, when I glumly munch on the occasional apple which is all the PB Thought Police permit me, I feel deeply guilty that I'm not masticating a piece of raw meat !

Don't get me wrong, I know that fruit contains fructose, fructose is a sugar and we all know what the dangers of that are for our insulin levels. But I can't help thinking this - fruit is after all found naturally, it is a source of vitamins and minerals, it needs no processing to be eaten, and if you believe that everything in Nature has a purpose it was presumably intended as a source of nourishment. After all, lots of animals and birds eat fruit and they're supposed to know what's good for them aren't they ?

When I ask this question I sometimes get the response - ah yes, but modern fruit is much sweeter than what our ancestors ate, to accommodate our modern day tastes. To me this brings an image to mind of a bunch of men in white coats in a Monsanto lab somewhere, huddled over their steaming testtubes, yelling " Sweeter, sweeter " to one another as they concoct some strain which will inevitably send the population of Earth hurtling to its inevitable doom. Is there any hard evidence for this proposition ? Has anyone here ever eaten a 25 thousand year old apple and what did it taste like ? Just askin'.......

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    The palaeolithic diet is not about low-carbs, and don't let anyone tell you it is, that's nonsense.

It's likely that if you follow the palaeolithic diet, you will consume a moderately low amount of carbs just by co-incidence, but that's just circumstantial.

Having said that, the problem with modern fruits is that many of them are a product of "evolution by means of human selection" (as opposed to "natural" selection).

That means they're bigger, much sweeter, contain less fibre, more calories, less protein and (arguably) less nutrients. Having said all that, I don't have a big problem including fruit in your palaeolithic diet. Just remember that it's not the same as what it once was....

By way of example, check out:

Wild banana:

Wild Apple:

Wild carrot (okay, so it's not a fruit, but point remains):

Wild mangoes:

apple is offline Senior Member
    My speculation: It seems to me that fruit does serve a survival purpose. The majority of sweet fruit is ripe in the fall, when we want to be putting on a layer of fat to eat off all winter when it's cold and hunting is tough. So if Grok and his family find a wild apple tree in September and eat their fill of apples every day while also catching some meat, they will be very effective in adding a decent layer of fat to keep them through the winter. So while primal and healthy, it's not going to be your best choice if weight is an issue.

(speaking for North American geography, not sure what the in-season for the rest of the world's fruit)
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    It's a personal choice, and the answer also depends on why you are doing Primal-to lost weight or get some blood chemistry improved, or to get your Grok on.

If you want to lose some weight, I would definitely avoid it and get over the sweet tooth. It only takes 7-10 days to get over, usually. The sweetness people crave is an acquired taste so I think its up to you to prioritize.

As far as the "Paleo/Primal" argument, it's quite true that fruit is cultivated to get sweeter all the time, plus technology is used to keep more of it available for longer periods. Finding berries a few weeks a year and nasty little apples is much different than supermarket produce sections year-round.

I find the "candy from a tree" thing to be true, and if I even add a small bit of fruit I start gaining belly. Not everyone will.

If you eat an apple a day and you are perfectly happy with weight, and your blood numbers are in line, heck, go for it. No reason to feel like a cheater.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    My speculation: It seems to me that fruit does serve a survival purpose. The majority of sweet fruit is ripe in the fall, when we want to be putting on a layer of fat to eat off all winter when it's cold and hunting is tough. So if Grok and his family find a wild apple tree in September and eat their fill of apples every day while also catching some meat, they will be very effective in adding a decent layer of fat to keep them through the winter. So while primal and healthy, it's not going to be your best choice if weight is an issue.

(speaking for North American geography, not sure what the in-season for the rest of the world's fruit)
    I like this response, and it makes sense from a nature standpoint.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Dates are prehistoric.....there's always been some sweet fruit.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    To explain this I would need you to understand the exact nature of apple farming.
    You see, apple seeds grow into wild apple trees. Those wild apple trees could be any possible type of apple, from mcintosh to spartan, but are more often the sour delights that you find out in the woods. Think of it like the lottery. If the cortlands died out you would probably not see another cortland tree for centuries.
    So, humans learned how to keep a single apple tree alive forever, stretching it across continents. They took a sprig of their favourite apple tree, grafted it onto an inferior tree and thus kept the mcintosh apple (my favourite) in circulation.

You see, all apples are naturally occuring (sweet ones too), but the sweet ones are so rare that we need to have an abnormal knowledge of horticulture in order to eat them as often as we do.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    As a side note, from one apple lover to another, I would recommend reading this:Wild Apples by Henry David Thoreau.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat 1-2 cups of berries on most days of the week and I'm still losing weight..... maybe not as fast as if I were to go VLC but I don't really want to do that to myself. Also the insulin spikes caused by fruit are mostly a problem is you are insulin resistant... that seems like backwards logic but the problem is chronically high insulin levels, you want insulin to go up a little bit after you eat so it can shuttle that energy into your cells rather than letting that glucose hang out in your blood and AGE you. Fruit is paleo, I say go ahead and eat it, just don't overdo it (a few cups of berries is very different from several mangoes). It's certainly more paleo than almond flour pancakes or bacon