Thread: Coconut milk... make your own! page

Bissen is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk... make your own!

Shop Now
    I was searching around here and on other sites to find a decent brand of coconut milk that's sold in my area... it was rather difficult and not least quite expensive - but then I found a post here jem51 suggested making your own from shredded coconut.

Searching began, and making it is extremely easy. I don't know if you already knew it, but I'd just make sure. It's a lot cheaper, and you'll get rid of a lot of additives!

YouTube - Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe from Dried Coconut

Cheers, and happy coconut milk-making!
    Last edited by Bissen; 04-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    *bump*

Thanks for the link, I was under the impression one had to use fresh young coconuts to make milk.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Cool! My company sells unsweetened shredded coconut (Bob’s Red Mill brand) for $3.79 so I’ll give this a go. Can I get a cheese cloth at a supermarket? I’ll find out in a few hours…

The video doesn’t mention it, but is there anything you can do with the stepped-on pulp after squeezing it twice? I guess eating it is fine…

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Cool! My company sells unsweetened shredded coconut (Bob’s Red Mill brand) for $3.79 so I’ll give this a go. Can I get a cheese cloth at a supermarket? I’ll find out in a few hours…

The video doesn’t mention it, but is there anything you can do with the stepped-on pulp after squeezing it twice? I guess eating it is fine…
    You can usually find cheesecloth at supermarkets. but it'll probably be overpriced. Amazon has it if you can wait a few days. Also, my local supermarket (Kroger) has shredded unsweetened coconut for $1/10oz. (i think it's 10oz.) I think the pulp (if dried and finely ground) would be equivalent to coconut flour, right?

I read something that mentioned using a paintbag as a strainer. You can get those at the hardware store. That would probably work even better than cheese cloth, and it's reuseable.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-21-2011 at 09:23 AM.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    I washed up an old nylon curtain. Works better than cheese cloth.
    After I squeeze all the milk out of the final blend, I just roll out the ball into the compost and rinse the piece of nylon out.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity
    Can I get a cheese cloth at a supermarket? I’ll find out in a few hours…
    Don't know, but you can probably just use any piece of cloth - I don't think it matters much. Not too tightly woven would probably be best.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan
    I think the pulp (if dried and finely ground) would be equivalent to coconut flour, right?
    Not quite - actually, they DO mention it on their own site here. "There are some rumors going around the internet that the left over pulp from this recipe can be dried out and used the same way as coconut flour. This is NOT true. Coconut flour is the residue left over from making Virgin Coconut Oil, and not coconut milk." - Read more on the site

Update: Bwaa! I only have a food processor, and it DOES NOT do the job! I get thin, tasteless coconut water -__-

I'll go buy a blender ASAP! I WANT it to work!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I hate resurrected-from-the-dead threads as much as the next person, but wanted to bite the "that's been discussed before" bullet. Is that a mixed metaphor?

Anyways, I've been buying coconut milk for $0.75 at my hispanic food market, but it has preservatives in it, and I just ran across this: Homemade Coconut Milk | Dairy Free Recipe for Coconut Milk . Seems easy, to good to be true easy. Will this give me good "thai kitchen" coconut milk?

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    This is cool, I thought one had to use a fresh coconut, and with my hands as they are I doubt that I can break into one. I will try both methods - thanks!

thes is nice sharing .thnx