Thread: Am I eating too much? page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Am I eating too much?

Primal Fuel
    I'm currently trying to build muscle, and I've succeeded thus far -- I'm up to 160 pounds (I used to weigh 145). I'm 5'11". Anyway, I sometimes wonder if I'm eating too much food. Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: Smoothie -- one cup of coconut milk, one banana, one cup of blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 tablespoons of almond butter (I normally have eggs or meat, but I had none on hand and I was hungry). ~1,000 calories

-Workout-

PWO: One banana. ~100 calories

Dinner: A little less than two pounds of grass-fed steak, eight ounces of sweet potato with two tablespoons of coconut oil and one teaspoon of honey. ~2,500 calories

What do you guys think? Too much or not?

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Can't tell by looking at that.

It's an impossible question to answer over the internet, we'd have to know exactly how many calories you were consuming and exactly how many you were expending in exercise.

In general, I expect a slight increase in body-fat when I'm "bulking". This is a signal that I'm taking in enough calories - and a teeny bit more just to be sure. It usually comes off pretty easy afterwards. I think it's possible to gain muscle without gaining fat, but I prefer to know that I'm eating enough + a bit, rather than be constantly trying to balance the caloric intake on a knife-edge.

So the answer to your question is: if you're putting on more fat than you'd like to, then yes, you're eating too much. Otherwise, no.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Uhm... if you feel good, see progress and doesn't gain too much fat, keep at it. You know best

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    If you start gaining fat then you are eating too much of the wrong food obviously. This would be carbs, sugars, dairy etc. I'm not sure you can overeat enough meat and animal fat to gain fat. Try it. Anyway, at your size you shouldn't be worried about over eating.

thyme is offline Member
    I think I might like to be a young male such that I could even entertain this question.
    That said, I'm going to invoke an old female's right to say I know nothing about your caloric input, but in my day, we ate greens in addition to tredging five miles uphill each way to school...