Thread: Dairy contributing to fatigue? Or is it Low Carb flu? page

Mandrake9072 is offline Junior Member

Dairy contributing to fatigue? Or is it Low Carb flu?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

First time poster here but a long time lurker! So I've been primal for the past three weeks and while I think I've gotten past the low carb 'flu' after the initial two weeks and the sluggishness, today I've been exhausted! However, I did introduce sour cream yesterday after three weeks of no dairy.

However, simple statistics do state that correlation =/= causation, but in this case did the introduction of sour cream (probably ate way more than I should have) yesterday cause me to hit a wall today? Or am I just experiencing low carb flu (albeit a bit later than most since I've heard that two-week period is the rough period as far as low carbs go)

I know it's a bit hard to gauge without listing out my full diet plan but I was just wondering if dairy causes fatigue and whether it's common or not.

Thanks!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    We're all different. Generally, we tend to end up experimenting on our selves. Eliminate it for awhile and see how you feel. Add it back and see how you feel. The trick is to only change one thing at a time. I do fine with dairy from what I can tell. That has no bearing whatever on whether it works for you.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I agree with experimenting. Plain milk used to make me throw up, now I drink 8oz a day to augment lifting and all I seem to be suffering is some very mild gas (I had ~zero gas while primal and not drinking milk). Given that sour cream is fermented though, I don't think it would have too much to do with the sluggishness. You could just have a minor infection. I know about a week ago I felt absolutely flat on my face, then a few days later I was spitting some mucous up. Just ride it out and see what happens. I say keep eating the dairy and if the sluggishness doesn't go away after 2 weeks, the drop the dairy.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Dairy seems to be a major cause of fatigue for me. Of course I can't prove it, but strict elimination increases my energy, adding it back in I get more tired. Even butter and yogurt seem to contribute - which is such a bummer!

Have you tried goat or sheep dairy? Or another type of cow? I have heard that there are a few kinds of cow dairy that are less likely to cause issue but i can't think of the type right now. I am considering adding a little of goat or sheep to see how it goes.

eira is offline Member
    maybe try raw dairy if you have access to it. I can't drink pasteurized milk but the raw stuff makes me feel like gold

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Holy spammage Batman!

I am lactose intolerant, and any dairy (without lactaid) is likely to leave me feeling low the next day. Many people are at least slightly lactose intolerant.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I love many things dairy. I allow myself a pound of butter per month, and am a fan of many delicious cheeses. It's not the mainstay of my diet, but it's a major component.

I never got the low carb flu, but I think it's because I was never a high carb eater. Being a person who questions authority, I never really bought into the govt advisories to eat 50-60% of my calories as produce.

The only thing that fatigues me is a high carb day. It doesn't really matter where those carbs come from.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.