Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - but my dog needs some help!! page

jammies is offline Senior Member

OT - but my dog needs some help!!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone-

Sorry for the OT post but I think it may be related to food - but for my Dog. My dog is a boxer/retriever mix who never had any GI problems his whole life. I moved to California about 7 months ago and he was okay. In November I moved to a different house he was fine at first. Since December, he has had intermittent symptoms of nausea, indigestion, vomiting. I have had to take him to the emergency vet 3 times (last time today) because of the severity. Today he had bloat - which thankfully passed without surgery. The vet said something is causing him to have chronic inflammation of his stomach. He did have elevated liver enzymes at some point. She rechecked them today. He is taking an acid reducer.

I tried switching him to Stella and Chewy's dehydrated raw food - he got quite ill from it and ended up in one the ER visits. I decided it was chicken causing the problem. So I put him and Sweet potato and fish food - grain free. I though it solved it, but this weekend he was very ill and I had to take him in again for fluids and anti-vomiting meds.

I just don't know what to do for this dog. The vet recommended getting Costco duck and sweet potato food and giving him nothing but that to see. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any suggestions? He is an amazing dog (rescued from a really bad life) and I can't stand to see him so miserable. Plus the vet bills, stress, and missed work are really taking a toll on me too.

Sorry for the long rambling. I know there are some great dog people here and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hey, don't apologize. I just wish I could help, but I don't know dogs. Hope you find the solution soon.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Does he have access to a yard? Maybe he's eating plants out there that don't agree with him. My sister has a plum tree. One of her dogs will eat any fruit that she can get from the tree. It ain't pretty when she does.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I know you probably have already done this but have you checked your yard to make sure there is nothing toxic in it causing a problem? Mushrooms, oleanders and lilys can be toxic to dogs. There are other plants that cause tummy irritations as well. I have two labs and they tend to nibble on things, so I have to be careful with what I plant and I always watch for mushrooms.

I hope you figure it out and he gets better. It is tough when our best friends are sick!

snoopy is offline Junior Member
    could it possibly be lyme?

Thanks Daisy Eater and vh67...it's a good suggestion....I have wondered about some type of plant issue. I do have a yard, but he didn't have unsupervised access to it until about a month ago, his symptoms started well before that. However - he is a grazer and has a pretty liberal definition of "food". So I think it could be possible. There are tons of plants back there and I have NO idea what they are. There are also wood/cedar chips, which I know he will eat if given the chance. Maybe I should keep him out of the yard for a week or so to see.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    could it possibly be lyme?
    We hike a lot out in the woods so he has had a quite a few tick bites. However, I believe they tested him for that at one of the visits and it was negative. I'll try to dig up the results for sure.

I didn't know Lyme caused GI issues.....off to do some reading now. Thanks!!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Lamaderm.... by Natural Life. For Real. You get it at Walmart. It is as good if not better than the RX $$$$$ food diet by the vet. read the reviews. My Golden Retriever young male had greasy oily stool, itchy, losing hair. I had him on all the holistic grain free BEST food out there. He could not digest it. I put him on probiotics, still greasy, gassy, loose stool. I did NOT want to believe this food would work. I felt hopeless. I put him on it 2 months ago. He has the most beautiful coat, most firm and small stools. He is THRIVING on it. read up on it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Hey, don't apologize. I just wish I could help, but I don't know dogs. Hope you find the solution soon.

Thank you Hedonist. Nice wishes are most welcomed right now

snoopy is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure if it causes gi issues in dogs, but I'm currently dealing with lyme myself and it has caused a lot of gi issues for me. Thats what made me think it could possibly be causing your dogs problems.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast