Thread: Signs of Poor Digestion? page

Jenn is offline Senior Member

Signs of Poor Digestion?

Primal Fuel
    How do I know If I'm digesting and absorbing nutrients properly? Should I take HCL or digestive enzymes just in case? I'm paranoid that eating healthy and taking vitamins isn't doing any good because of poor digestion.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    This might sound a bit graphic but a lot can be said about your digestion through poop. If your poop is nicely formed with a good brown color and you are pretty regular than your digestion may not be too bad. Normal transit time for food is 18-24+ hours. So if you are having IBS, diarrhea or constipation that could indicate malabsorbtion, dysbiosis, or some other gut irritation. Some people eat sesame seeds to check their transit time since it can be easily distinguished in your stools.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I've started taking a daily smoothie to try improve digestion, which has always been very bad.

The smoothie contains kefir, diatemaceous earth, banana and cinnamon.

Kefir for the probiotic effect
    DE to scrub the intestinal walls, promoting more effective absorption of nutrients
    Cinnamon to even out the blood glucose
    Banana, because they taste so good

I'm going to have one every day for a month and see if it helps. Today was day 1.

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, I've been debating whether to take probiotics, DE, or digestive enzymes. I don't know which would be best.