Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: While the Boys Are Out - Phoenix's 1st Primal Journal page

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member

While the Boys Are Out - Phoenix's 1st Primal Journal

Greetings all,

I'm a newcomer to primal. First learned about MDA when friends of mine participated in the contest to win a whole grass-fed cow. Sadly, they didn't win, but they did have a wonderful time and the experience introduced me to this great resource, for which I'm very grateful. I've already found a wealth of inspiration and information. (Thank you, MDA!)

Who I am: nearing 40, mother of two young boys, recently went back to working in an office, long time proponent of real food, dabbler in Weston A Price methods, struggling with moderate depression and anxiety, very low on spare time, looking for ways to gain/regain physical strength and endurance, curious.

I've been edging towards primal over the past few weeks, primarily in an effort to feel better and combat depression (despite a long commute, a stressful job, juggling family needs, etc.). I'm already seeing great results in energy levels and much better mood.

My plan: the rest of my family (partner and two kids) is heading off on a two week vacation starting next Tuesday. I'm going to seize the opportunity to kick-start a whole30 and PB fitness. I'm starting this journal to track progress and keep myself honest. Wish me luck!

Today:

Taking fermented cod liver oil, a B&C (and magnesium and ...) stress supplement, and 5-HTP.
    Walking daily, doing about 5 minutes of yoga each morning.
    Eating primarily primal until dinner with the family. Mostly avoiding sugar. Mostly sticking with sprouted/soaked grains and legumes. Definitely still eating dairy. Keeping to good oils/fats at home.

Body fat scale reports I'm 28.8%. My blood work is good. (I'm genetically lucky.)

Goals:

Starting next Tuesday, when the boys leave:
    No grains, legumes, dairy, or sweeteners. Limited nuts and fruits.
    LHT 2x week, Sprints 1x week, more walking

Questions:

I want to see what happens! Will my mood be more stable, sleep better, body composition change, endurance rise? Will dropping dairy really matter? Can I leave a whole30, do primal 80/20 and feel fantastic? I would love to hit my 40th birthday feeling happy, in shape, and in love with the world.

This morning's 4:11am wake-up reminded me to mention something more explicitly - I'm working to rebuild vitality from two pregnancies, four years of lactation, and four years of sleep deprivation. My boys are sleeping much better these days, but there are fairly frequent four am wake-ups. The younger one is still nursing twice a day.

Since recommitting to my health and sanity and edging towards primal, starting a few weeks ago, I've discovered that my energy is much better despite the challenges of small children and leaving for work at 6:15am. It's inspiring.

This weekend was decidedly not primal. My eldest turned four, there were cookies and cupcakes, and a lot of party foods with family and friends. And a few cocktails.

I'm not at all surprised I had trouble waking up and getting going this morning.

Today is Whole30 -1. There's a lot of cheese in my fridge, so it'll probably be heavy on the dairy, but I'm clear that I want to wake up feeling good, so I'll do my best to stay away from the grains and sugars (and booze) this evening. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I cannot shake being tired and brain-fogged this morning, despite a latte and green tea.

Day one!

I was worried breakfast and lunch would sparse since I haven't had a chance to clean the fridge and shop yet; it looks like I'll do fine though. Now having strawberries with coconut milk and a mug of green tea for breakfast. Have steak and seaweed salad in the fridge for lunch. Almonds and an apple are on hand for snacks. Tonight I'll stock up on veggies (farmers' market!), hard boil some eggs, etc.

Just realized I forgot my fish oil this morning. Will try to remember to take it when I get home.

I took quick before measurements last night: Body fat was reading at 31.2%, waist was 32inches. Not my best. (On body fat, actually, about my worst.) I'm really hoping I can get both of those to change.
    Last edited by a_phoenix; 04-26-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Drat. Just took a bite and realized the seaweed salad has soy (tamari and miso). Skipping it. (Though, in general, I think the traditional, fremented soy products aren't too terribly scary.)

FitDay thinks I only ate 1255 calories yesterday. My brain thinks that must be wrong. It's totally possible it underestimated the fat content of my fried egg and mutton goulash. (mmm... fat!) What I was really curious about was the carbs, which came in at 28.7g. I can add more veggies! Hooray! Protein was just a little low at 92.4g.

I walked ~4.5 miles yesterday and cleaned the kitchen, but didn't manage a LHT trial. That'll be tomorrow.

Went to bed before 10; woke before the alarm at 5:15. Feeling good so far.

Day 3 and I already think I have to quit looking at fit day. It's so easy to slip into "fewer calories = better" mentality. That said, yesterday I managed to get the calories up (by dint of eating a quarter cup of homemade mayo, among other thingd) and not be quite so hungry. I was tired/headachy in the afternoon, followed by craving carbs and dairy something fierce. Making an awesome bunch of kale chips helped.

Body and brain are definitely adjusting.

Tonight is just me again, so I'll be cooking, house cleaning, and doing the LHT trial from PB Fitness.

Dear carb flu,

Kindly *&%&^^%# off!

no love,

Phoenix
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The LHT trial was sad and edifying. I may frequently hoist 45+ pounds of toddler, but I'm nowhere near the shape I once was. Doing the workout after felt good though, if embarrassing. Here's where I am:

pushups: 13
    pullup: nope, none, nada
    squat: 31
    overhead press (dive bomber): 3
    plank: 45 seconds

Didn't feel like eating more meat or eats tonight, so I didn't. Fitday reports only 64.5g of protein. I'm gonna tell myself not to care.
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast