Thread: Pre-primal food is not tasty! page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I had my first cup of coffee yesterday since going primal a month ago today. I've been under the weather (an understatement) with awful sciatica, so it was a treat, comfort if you like!

Do you know what, I just can't understand why I was so in love with coffee beforehand. It just tasted of nothing! I only had half a cup and threw the rest away.

My tastebuds have definitely changed. And it seems like the idea of eating or drinking something non-primal is definitely better than the actuality.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Well I haven't drank my coffee any way but black for almost a decade, and have only been attempting primal for 1-2 years, and I can tell you plain coffee always tastes awful

However after eating Real Food the refined and processed stuff does taste awful in comparison. Sweet stuff especially, tastes so fake and unnatural. Then you realize things like pasta and rice don't taste like anything at all. Juices that used to be "quenching" taste like pure sugar and almost disgusting to drink. Cereals that used to be sweet and crunchy taste like sugar covered dirt. The one thing that has yet to phase me is ice cream (unfortunately).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Dark roasted black coffee........one of life's great simple pleasures. No downsides.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Want to know something odd?

I grew up drinking black coffee... like when I was a kid I'd have half a mug or sip some of my dad's.

And I've only just recently learned to appreciate it with a bit of cream and truvia or sugar-free syrup.

And I do enjoy it.

Bizarre.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

And all this goes to show that we are all different!

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I completely agree.

I never understood how people could say something was too sweet. Now that I'm primal (first time saying/typing that) the sweet food I used to love doesn't taste as good and really does taste too sweet. On top of that, I can taste a lot more subtle flavors in food that I never noticed before.

nina_70 Guest

I still love my AM expresso, but I'm totally w/ you on tastebuds changing. I've never had an overly-sweet tooth, but I've definitely become more aware of how sweet certain things really are...for example berries taste incredibly sweet to me now.

And totally agree on pasta & rice...they really have no taste. Just texture to put stuff on. The first time I replaced pasta with spaghetti squash I was amazed to find it tasted just fine. Never miss it now.

On the other hand I've become incredibly aware of how *tasty* fat is...butter, meat-fat, etc...my body literally craves it.

maba is offline Senior Member

I love Thai food - it's among my favorite cuisines! Last night we went to a Thai restaurant for dinner and I can't believe how sweet their curry tasted (because of the added palm sugar)! It could have passed off for some exotic chili-infused coconut milk dessert. I can't believe the same curry tasted so good with just a hint of sweetness before.

grandma is offline Member

I used to love Coke (you know the kind that adds life. Hmmm... you know, the kind that you can buy in the grocery store). I haven't had any in a very long time. I took a sip the other day. I didn't like it at all, the sweetness, the flavor, nothing. I used to crave it.

Black coffee... that's a different story I haven't kicked that habit yet. I well brewed french roast.... ahhhhhhh...... But I have never taken my coffee any other way than black.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

A couple of weekend ago I binged on tons of non primal stuff, and I wasn't blown away by the taste of any if it. I was actually quite dissapointed by most of it.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull