Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Importance of Organic -- Coconut Milk Specifically? page

  1. #1
    Stephanie A.'s Avatar
    Stephanie A. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74

    Question Importance of Organic -- Coconut Milk Specifically?

    Primal Fuel
    Any idea how important it is for coconut milk to be organic? I always buy the organic oil because I don't want to buy oil that has been chemically extracted in any way.

    Is the same true for Coconut Milk? The brand I like has been out of stock on Amazon... non-organic is available (for considerably less $) but I don't want to ingest an unhealthy substitute.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    JKC's Avatar
    JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,026
    Not everything I buy is organic. Mark thinks organic is better if you can do it, but I don't, for the most part, and I am still feeling great about a month in to this WOE.
    Karin

    A joyful heart is good medicine

    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

    Mmmmm. Real food is good.

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

  3. #3
    supersellen's Avatar
    supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    892
    Coconut is very low on the list of items to ideally buy organic, due to its very hard, thick, and inedible outer shell.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    I only buy organics when they're on an amazing deal at the grocery store on pay day when I have the most amount of $$ available! LOL

    this week's organic buy: apples, 99c/lb

    last paycheck's organic splurge: champagne mangoes (70-80c/lb, I forget)
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Fairychilde's Avatar
    Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Coconut is very low on the list of items to ideally buy organic, due to its very hard, thick, and inedible outer shell.
    +1

  6. #6
    jem51's Avatar
    jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    170
    Here's how I do it and it is cheap; Buy organic shredded coconut and make your own milk. A cup of the dry stuff makes at least a liter.

  7. #7
    O_O's Avatar
    O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    867
    Cheap and easy!

  8. #8
    ElaineC's Avatar
    ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    843
    I bought a couple of kinds of coconut milk today to give them a try, neither organic, both totally different. Both labelled "coconut milk" and not much else. One is liquid, and tastes like coconut. The other is a solid, and doesn't. Neither resemble coconut fat, which I do buy organic but only because thats the only kind the local store carries.

    I have no idea what to make of the completely solid coconut milk, that isn't like coconut fat but isn't what I expected.

  9. #9
    Bissen's Avatar
    Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Herning (soon rhus), Denmark
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
    Here's how I do it and it is cheap; Buy organic shredded coconut and make your own milk. A cup of the dry stuff makes at least a liter.
    +1 (I have yet to try it though!)

    jem, I guess I'll have to give you credit for the thread I created (hereby done)
    Last edited by Bissen; 04-21-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Giving credits

  10. #10
    supersellen's Avatar
    supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    I bought a couple of kinds of coconut milk today to give them a try, neither organic, both totally different. Both labelled "coconut milk" and not much else. One is liquid, and tastes like coconut. The other is a solid, and doesn't. Neither resemble coconut fat, which I do buy organic but only because thats the only kind the local store carries.

    I have no idea what to make of the completely solid coconut milk, that isn't like coconut fat but isn't what I expected.
    Did you shake it really well and then stir it? Thicker coconut milks separate and the fat rises to the top of the can.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •