Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid getting so hungry? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

How to avoid getting so hungry?

Shop Now
    I always have breakfast, even if I don't really fancy it most days. But I always get hungry again about 10am (I have breakfast at about 6.45am). I can have breaks whenever I want to at work, but haven't got access to a fridge so it's a bit limited what kind of food I can bring. I usually end up having some nuts. But I might be eating too much of that, and it would be nice not having to eat between breakfast and lunch.

I can't do fasting, apart from over night obviously. If I go for too long without food I get extremely hungry and actually feel ill. I've got IBS (not that bad anymore) and a lot of stress in my life, and I don't think I will be able to fast until my body has healed. If that will ever happen that is ...

Any suggestions with regards to what/how/when to eat would be greatly appreciated.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    What are you eating exactly for breakfast???

I eat bacon and eggs usually every day. Today I added fried sweet potato slices that were fried in the bacon fat.

Eating more fat will help you feel full longer. Try increasing your fat intake at each meal
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    what are you eating for breakfast?

eating foods with plenty of fat and protein will keep you full longer, so you could change your breakfast to plenty of eggs and meat, or bring hard boiled eggs into work as a snack.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    What is your history with food? This appears to be a chronic problem in people who have been on low calorie diets, they always want to eat all of the time and it takes a good deal of food to bring them back to balance.

And what are you eating for breakfast, for that matter?

edit: heh, indeed.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    keeping hard boiled eggs in the shell will keep them from going bad during the day. I agree with Rob. Also, packing a lunch cooler with things you can eat and adding a freezer pack will help.
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    What is your history with food? This appears to be a chronic problem in people who have been on low calorie diets, they always want to eat all of the time and it takes a good deal of food to bring them back to balance.
    This was me. Prior to primal, I was on a super low fat, eat 6 times a day regimen and it took me a couple months to get back to normal. I found that I was slowly able to eat more at each meal also, which led to very little hunger between meals.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    What are you eating? When I make fat the focus of my meals I find that I can go much longer without feeling too hungry. Today I just broke a 16-hour fast (finished eating 6:45pm last night, ate lunch 11:00am today) and it wasn't at all arduous. I used to have the same issue you have, so I'm definitely attributing the change to my diet. Try this for breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled in 4 Tbsp of butter (scrambling allows you to incorporate the butter so your eggs aren't swimming in them). That's 680 kcals, most of it from fat. A favourite meal of mine is to fry up some chopped bacon, remove the bacon and cook brussels sprouts until browned in the bacon fat, and top with eggs sunny-side up. Or cook up some fatty sausage and caramelize some onions in the drippings, and top with some eggs. (I'm detecting a pattern here ) I love the way I can add eggs to any meal and make it taste better, keep me sated for longer, add a hefty nutritional kick, all without having trouble making it fit in my stomach. But if eggs aren't your thing, fatty meats and veggies absolutely drenched in fat are your friends. Cream is great if you tolerate dairy. The recipes forum is a great place to get ideas too.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Try drinking more water if you are not already. That helps me out. A large glass of water makes my stomach feel full for a while, and helps me with my fasting times.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Thank you guys for replying.
    Thought I'd give you some more info.

Food history:
    I've grown up with a typical Norwegian diet consisting of a lot of carbs in the form of bread, cereal, potato, pasta, fruit and rice. I've never been on a diet because I've always been slim. I'm 174cm and weigh about 64 kilos, and that has been pretty consistent for the last 15 years. I've always been craving carbs, mostly in the form of bread and fruits. Could eat bread and fruit until it came out of my ears and still want more!
    I used to eat all the time, probably about every two hours otherwise I would feel absolutely starved, lightheaded and dizzy like I was going to pass out most days. I have actually passed out a few times as well.

In 2006 I realized I had digestive issues and started changing my diet a bit. Nothing consistent though, and my digestive issues only got worse until I realized I've got IBS. It wasn't until 2010 I made some serious changes, saw I nutritionist and spend loads of money on various supplements to get rid of candida.
    I've been more or less primal since December last year, and almost 100% the last 3 months or so. I eat sweet potatoes, lots of vegetables, lots of meat and fish, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs, dark chocolate (at least 70%), some berries and probably too many nuts ... I'm trying to cut down on the nuts now though.
    For breakfast I usually have two eggs (boiled or fried), smoked mackerel or smoked salmon, some spinach, sauerkraut and beetroot. I'm not really hungry though, and find it hard to eat that much. Maybe I eat too much in the evening?

I guess I'm afraid of getting hungry, it just makes me feel so weak and low. Although I don't have to eat every two hours anymore, I can go for up to 5 hours before I get hungry, I still feel lightheaded and dizzy sometimes.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    If you can palate it, try eating a glob of pure coconut oil when cravings strike.... That usually will cut the craving immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast