Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Area Restaurants and Farmers Markets/Grocery Stores page

koden is offline Junior Member

DC Area Restaurants and Farmers Markets/Grocery Stores

Hey all I am new to the Primal community and also semi new to the DC area so I just wanted to start a thread where people from DC or who have been to DC can share where they have gone to eat or the best place to buy their groceries.

I know not many of us go out too often because it is pretty hard to find any place that is primal but this could be a nice list of places in the area for people to check out. Sadly I don't have any to share, but hopefully you do.

Even if you don't have a place to share I have another thread here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28573.html

That is just a thread for all of us to learn about each other in the DC area. Hopefully meet up sometime and encourage one another to continue on the Primal Path. More of a general discussion than anything else. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

scooby is offline Member
    The Dupont Farmer's market every Sunday is a good source for grass fed beef, bison, offal, pastured and fermented dairy, and free range eggs. I'm sure Eastern Market is even better. Whole foods carries coconut oil and Natural Calm.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    My Organic Market (Mom's) in Alexandria... there's a butcher in old town too. usually we shop at wfm, tjoes, and costco...& we grow our own veggies during the summer...

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    This thread definitely comes in handy for my move to dc in 3 weeks. Would anyone mind giving me rough prices of grass-fed beef in the area? I can't buy in bulk (limited to a mini-fridge..), and I know I'm spoiled out here in Portland.. so I want to start budgeting now!

I'll be traveling via Metro, but it seems like MOM's & Farmer's Markets are within a 15-45 minute commute from Tenleytown. If there are any other places to hit in the area/off the metro, let me know.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    In the summer there are farmers markets all over town - one at least every day of the week I think.
    At Eastern Market - check out Canales Quality Meats - they are a top notch butcher and carry some grass-fed meats. Also Bowers Fancy Dairy has a great selection of grass-fed cheeses. For cheese, also check out Cowgirl Creamery downtown. And you know Whole Foods as probably does your bank account. Yes! organic markets are sprinkled through the city and are a good source for some things. There are a number of CSAs and meat buying groups around the area. Check out localharvest.org and eatwild.com for resources - a good number of locals depend on these groups and you can too.

In terms of going out, at this point I haven't had a lot of problems getting the kind of food that fits within this diet. DC has a good selection of restaurants that carry organic, sustainable and grass-fed and it's growing. There are so many it's an easy google actually. Nora's in Dupont was actually the first restaurant in the US certified as organic. Ann Cashion's restaurants are good - both Cashion's Eat Place and Johnny's Halfshell. Firefly, Hook, Founding Fathers, Chesapeake Room, Sonoma, Blue Duck Tavern. Local 16 .... this list is just a glimpse at what there is. Go out and eat if you want to.

A couple chains to consider:
    Sweetgreen does salads and some of them fit within a primal lifestyle and they are sustainable and organic. Also, Le Pain Quotidein, while a bakery - their menu has some great options for breakfast and I love their salads (just hold the croutons)
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Thanks! Yeah, it seems like farmer's markets will be awesome, as well as the little organic stores throughout the area. But, before I go visit every farmers market/grocery store - does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of grassfed beef in dc? It would really help me budget! It's one of the cheapest meats around here, but I know that might not be the case in dc.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexsi340 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, it seems like farmer's markets will be awesome, as well as the little organic stores throughout the area. But, before I go visit every farmers market/grocery store - does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of grassfed beef in dc? It would really help me budget! It's one of the cheapest meats around here, but I know that might not be the case in dc.
    Portland is, well .... pretty darn fabulous. But I think you'll find that there is life outside of Portland.
    I typically buy some of the less expensive cuts of beef - skirt, flank, sirloin - and they seem to run about twice the price of standard cuts. I'm finding $15-19/lb at Whole Foods and Eastern Market. (anyone please contradict me on this if I'm wrong) This summer, I've found shellfish - crabs, mussels, clams - and some fish can be a better deal than beef.
    Some of the buying clubs let you order smaller cuts - one chicken, 2 pounds ground beef or pork - so don't discount them as an option. You will need a car to get to many of the pick-up sites. If you aren't going to have one in the city, you can always use a ZipCar.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Ha! I know there is life outside it. It's the cost of living that worries me

I'm sorry, $15-$19 for ground beef?! Really?!

And on the pick-up site issue, I'm a typical annoying Portlander who never got their license... So ZipCars aren't even a viable option for me.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    you can get grass fed beef for $3.99/lb when buying a 1/2 cow through either the springfield butcher or lets meat on the avenue butcher in old town alexandria... but you've got to have a place to store it... most of the farmers markets close down at the end of October... at least the ones that frequent ffx coutny.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks.. but that's the issue, no freezer space to speak of. I mentioned in the DC Facebook Primal Group being willing to PAY for freezer space, but nobody seemed too interested.

So, the price at WF/Eastern Market are really $15-$19? Or is that just for roast/other cuts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast