Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco - About Verde Farms Organic Ground Beef page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Costco - About Verde Farms Organic Ground Beef

Primal Fuel
    I have been buying Coscto's Organic ground beef for about a year and wondered about the fact that while the package said organic, it did not say grass fed. You may be interested in the following information from the FAQs on their web site. Verde Farms

Is the organic ground beef found at Costco 100% grass-fed?

The Verde Farms organic ground beef sold at Costco is a blend of Australian organic grass-fed, pasture-raised beef with US or Canadian organic beef most likely finished on organic grains. While the majority of the blend is made with the Australian beef, our long-term goal is to make the product 100% grass-fed.
    I have mixed feelings about this product:
    • great flavor
    • good price
    • convoluted non-US supply chain
    • not local
    • no way to determine what % is grain finished

This is one of those cases of suppliers following the letter of organic certification but not completely the spirit of the law.

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member
    I saw that too on my last trip to costco. but it didn't seem that much cheaper than the grass fed ground beef at WF.

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, Organic Beef, Grass-Fed Beef, and Organic Grass-Fed Beef are all completely different classifications. It is good to know that at least some of that Beef is Grass-Fed. I always assumed that it was not.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    That shouldnt come as any surprise. Anything that does not specifically say in big bold letters "100% grass-fed " or some variant is either not grass fed or has piss poor marketing managers who have been living under a rock the last 5 years. Between the anti cafo movement, michael pollan, paleo, primal and a gazillion other groups grass fed is the new pricing premium.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    That shouldnt come as any surprise. Anything that does not specifically say in big bold letters "100% grass-fed " or some variant is either not grass fed or has piss poor marketing managers who have been living under a rock the last 5 years.
    Surprise! Some farmers who were using the term Grass fed before the regulations are grandfathered in and allowed to use the term even if they finish with grain!!! Rodale's website has a good Guide to Grass Fed beef and what to look for: http://www.rodale.com/grassfed-beef

If it says Grass fed on the package, you still will need to determine if it is a grandfathered label. I'm thinking that the American Grassfed Beef Association certification may be a good way to go. Here is a list of certified producers by state:
    American Grassfed Association » Producer Members By State
    Last edited by Adrianag; 04-20-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Surprise! Some farmers who were using the term Grass fed before the regulations are grandfathered in and allowed to use the term even if they finish with grain!!! Rodale's website has a good Guide to Grass Fed beef and what to look for: grass-fed beef | Guide to Buying Grass-Fed Beef | Rodale News

If it says Grass fed on the package, you still will need to determine if it is a grandfathered label. I'm thinking that the American Grassfed Beef Association certification may be a good way to go. Here is a list of certified producers by state:
    American Grassfed Association » Producer Members By State
    Seems like yet another reason to get to know your farmer whenever possible!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I got an email this week from Verde Farms stating that their beef is now 100% grassfed, they have not updated their website yet. Good for them.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    It's enough to make you scream. To think I might be paying a premium for something that's not what it is labeled as. Akin to but not as bad as the deliberate mislabeling of fish http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/sc...th/27fish.html a problem found recently to be twice as bad at the restaurant level.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Do you remember how much it is per pound? I pay $8 for grass-fed from Whole Foods sourced from somewhat local farms.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Do you remember how much it is per pound? I pay $8 for grass-fed from Whole Foods sourced from somewhat local farms.
    It's been a while since I bought it but I think it was around $5/#.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast