Thread: Do you take supplements while fasting? page

porcelain is offline Senior Member

Do you take supplements while fasting?

Primal Fuel
    I've never fasted more than 24 hours and I'm on my second day, not entirely confident if I should incorporate a wholemeal protein shake (Vega). I'm heard the benefits of not juicing on a fast, but what about supplements? Would it assist or interfere with the body's cleansing process?

Also, because I only fast after a carb binge, my body is not at its PRIME to handle the healing stress or elevated cortisol levels. Plus I suffer from constipation and I haven't gone in two days. I worry I'm not getting FULLY cleansed...

It's possible that taking coconut oil and fiber-rich foods like berries and leafy green vegetables during the fast can help reduce the stress of the fast, provide some benefits from ketosis, and improve gut flora. Coconut oil could help balance blood sugars and glucose spikes (especially for the hypoglycemics).

What do you think?
    Last edited by porcelain; 04-20-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I don't because they can upset my stomach, plus I think supplements are better absorbed when taken with food.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    The way I understand it, IF isn't about "cleansing" so much as about giving your body time to focus on stuff other than digesting and to level out blood sugar levels.
    As such, I wouldn't take vitamins while fasting. The point is to let your body heal, not using the energy to digest.
    Why do you only fast after a carb binge?
    If you "take coconut oil...berries...vegetables during the fast", it's not a fast anymore. And don't worry about balancing the blood sugars/glucose spikes during a fast. That's part of what the fast is teaching your body.
    My two cents. Feel free to contradict me, anyone.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Long periods of fasting after binging scream unhealthy relationship with food.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    The way I understand it, IF isn't about "cleansing" so much as about giving your body time to focus on stuff other than digesting and to level out blood sugar levels.
    As such, I wouldn't take vitamins while fasting. The point is to let your body heal, not using the energy to digest.
    Why do you only fast after a carb binge?
    If you "take coconut oil...berries...vegetables during the fast", it's not a fast anymore. And don't worry about balancing the blood sugars/glucose spikes during a fast. That's part of what the fast is teaching your body.
    My two cents. Feel free to contradict me, anyone.
    The reason why I fast is because I feel my binges are disturbingly abnormal. I'm like a recovering AA; when I start eating any sweets or unhealthy snacks, I don't stop - even when I'm agonizingly full. I'll bring snacks to bed and will choose snacking over sleeping because it feels better. Fasting helps me restart and gain my self control back. Now this only happens once a couple months, which is why I avoid snacking in the first place. Damn holidays and celebratory events that always screw me over!

I'm only considering coconut oil because it can help my constipation... the last meal I had before the fast was meat sauce and a ton of cookies and macadamia. It's been TWO DAYS and nothing. :|

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    The reason why I fast is because I feel my binges are disturbingly abnormal. I'm like a recovering AA; when I start eating any sweets or unhealthy snacks, I don't stop - even when I'm agonizingly full. I'll bring snacks to bed and will choose snacking over sleeping because it feels better. Fasting helps me restart and gain my self control back. Now this only happens once a couple months, which is why I avoid snacking in the first place. Damn holidays and celebratory events that always screw me over!

I'm only considering coconut oil because it can help my constipation... the last meal I had before the fast was meat sauce and a ton of cookies and macadamia. It's been TWO DAYS and nothing. :|
    If you introduce fats/protein, etc., you will no longer be fasting, you will just be on a severe calorie restriction. If you want to give the digestive system a rest, then avoid anything with caloric value. I also didn't poo when I fasted in the past, and from the research I did then, it is pretty normal. Although, when I did eat again, the first one was pretty darn uncomfortable.

That being said, you may want to do some research regarding optimal fasting lengths for what you are trying to accomplish. You may also want to think about why not eating makes you feel in control. Spending a day eating only optimal foods puts you as in control as not eating, and you get to feel awesome doing it and don't have a pack of oreos sitting in your bowels for days on end.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/