Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180degreeghealth on Mark Sission and the PB page

prymetyme is offline Junior Member

180degreeghealth on Mark Sission and the PB

180 Degree Health: Mark Sisson

Interested in what you think.

Demize is offline Member
    What do i think? Thanks for asking, but I have not studied research papers deep enough to contribute anything. I do hope however that this thread is veiwed and commented on with no attacks, like what happened in the recent gary taubes thread started by captaineight. This needs sensible and civil discussion.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    For someone with a healthy metabolism and heightened insulin sensitivity he has a valid point. Insulin is a anabolic hormone, and is needed to shuffle nutrients into the cells of your body.

From one of the best explanations I've read:

Right after exercise is when the uptake of carbohydrates is at its peak – a result of increased insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake by muscle contractions via GLUT-4 receptors. Insulin sensitivity is a measure of how efficiently food is absorbed in the cells at a given insulin secretion. In this case, having high insulin sensitivity in your muscle cells, with lower sensitivity in fat cells, preferentially shuttles calories for recovery and growth rather than fat storage.-- BÝrge Fagerli’s Advanced Concept Diet v2.0 - YewHealth
    Live active healthy lives and you'll do fine on a higher level of carbohydrate intake. For a couch potato with a broken metabolism it might not be such a good idea.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    boy, for such a hardheaded health researcher, this guy didn't have a whole lot of actual information to support his bashing of the PB or paleo or weight watchers or whatever else he felt like whining about. i also think he completely missed the point of what PB is all about, which is health, and focused only on weight loss and what little information he could gather in skimming through the introduction to mark's book.

he has no credibility in my eyes.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    As 110% sick as I am of reading anything having to do with "low carb dieting" on these forums, I will say that was a really interesting article. And thank god the focus/concern was in regard to health, not weightloss.

My little n=1... I personally have some extremely low carb days (not often or on purpose, just spontaneously here and there), but then some days I'm up around 350 grams or so. I like this variety, I feel good and function well in every sense. I'm not sure what the health implications of my carb intake are, but as it's pretty "middle of the road" (and completely natural/unrefined) I don't see any major dangers and assume I'm just fine. I've never had blood work done, so I don't know what my health markers look like.

Anyway, as I said, fascinating read. Thank you for posting it! You've also given me a new site to enjoy (never been to 180health before). I don't have the knowledge to critique the article, so I won't try -- but I eagerly await the input of those who do!

paleoforlupus is offline Junior Member
    Just looking for some educated insight, is there any validity to this?

"Glucose is the ultimate source of cellular energy. Short and medium chain saturated fatty acids like butyric acid and lauric acid are the only thing that can compete. If you do not get enough glucose, stress hormones rise. At first this can feel amazing – giving you tireless energy, blunting appetite, and burning up body fat. But over time the wear and tear on the adrenal glands to produce this increased demand for stress hormones catches up with you. When the adrenal energy finally wanes you are left with lower thyroid hormone production – the adrenal hormones oppose the thyroid and even cause the thyroid gland to atrophy (the catecholamines cause the thymus – the epicenter of the immune system to atrophy as well, which would explain my observation that low-carb eating increases proneness to allergies, food allergies, and autoimmune disease)."

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i also think he completely missed the point of what PB is all about, which is health, and focused only on weight loss and what little information he could gather in skimming through the introduction to mark's book.
    I dunno, I felt like he focused on health. His concerns seemed to be the effect of VLC on things like adrenal and thyroid function, hormones, inflamation, etc. If anything, I think he agreed that it works (at least for a while) as a weightloss strategy.

I just stumbled onto the site a few days ago and by coincidence that article was posted. I can see his point with regards to carb intake. Certainly the 150gram /day leading to insidious weight gain is a blanket statement that cannot possibly be applied to everyone.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The only advocate of high carb intake I’ll listen to is Anthony Colpo because a) he’s hilarious and b) he’s ripped

IIRC this guy has been laughed at plenty for being a pudgy know-it-all

I don’t mean to say I’ll only listen to guys with Greek God figures but his saying in this article that people that are lean are actually unhealthy is not something I agree with. All athletes with visible abs are unhealthy? Hard pill to swallow, even if I’m willing to admit that perhaps our bodies rather have a layer of fat (in case shit—think Japan) but without that, I don’t see low body fat % (IN MEN!) to be unhealthy. I think women that can’t menstruate due to low BF may fall under unhealthy but I don’t know enough about it to say for sure.

PrimalCon New York
    I do hope however that this thread is veiwed and commented on with no attacks, like what happened in the recent gary taubes thread started by captaineight. This needs sensible and civil discussion.
    I have no interest in arguing. I am simply looking for feedback. I have been following the PB for about 6 months (about 50g carbs/day). I have dropped about 30lbs but progress is stalling. This article got me thinking that I should introduce more carbs and possible reduce protein.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast