Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment of Blackheads (I know, I hate the word too) page

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Since going paleo about 8 months ago my acne has pretty much cleared but one thing that still bothers me are the blackheads on my nose. I've had them for years and they seem to be going nowhere fast. What is the best way to get rid of these devils once and for all? Now that I'm eating clean I'm sure once I get them gone I can keep it that way, but it's just that initial step. I bought some of those pore strips and made the mistake of using one. I have very sensitive skin and it left my skin red and irritated. I tried to soothe it with some coconut oil, and that worked alright, but my nose is not happy at the moment. Please aid me, I am very serious about fixing this and will try anything, no matter how much dedication is required.

JamieBelle is offline Member

Regular exfoliation with a product that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. It's not a perfect cure, but it does help.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Squeeze them out the old fashioned way? (sadism at its finest)

Baglady is offline Junior Member

I used to have them real bad and had received a facial as a gift. I went and had that, the gal did all kinds of things to my face, I guess to soften the skin and then she squeezed them all out. it's been 6 months and they have not returned and now that I eat primal my skin is even clearer. If you can afford to have someone else do it, I vote for that method. The girl got more than what I could see in the mirror and the process was real relaxing.

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

MMS131 is offline Junior Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to squeeze them out yourself. It will leave your pores damaged and red and horrible looking for days (been here, done this!).

I have had a deep cleansing facial, similar to what Baglady is describing, and I also had good success with this. Be prepared however, it is kind of painful. Your face might be red for a day or so, but it's much safer than trying to do it yourself.

I'm a big fan of Neutrogena Deep Clean for a daily cleanser (it's not girly, don't worry... However, not primal either, if that is a concern...), and I also use a Clinique exfoliating product a few times a week. This seems to do the trick - I rarely get them now.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Exfoliate your T-zone every single day. Exfoliate the rest of your face every couple of days. You don't need to use an expensive scrub, I use Johnson's clean and clear. I used to have blackheads but following this routine has got rid of them all.

I did the whole skin care routine religiously for about 6 years. I think it hurt more than it helped.

Then, after going completely paleo for a month or two I stopped it all cold turkey. The results I like very much, except for the persisting blackheads (not new ones, just the same old same old). I'm hesitant to start the normal "routine" of exfoliating, benzoyl peroxide, etc, again because all this did was leave my skin dry and red. There's got to be a way to naturally get rid of blackheads without Johnson and Johnson products full of ridiculous chemicals?

@stoneagequee: what do you mean by exfoliate? Scrape the skin off my noes daily with "microbeads" from the scrubs? This may work for some, but it seems my skin is extremely sensitive to any kind of rubbing. I don't want to have the appearance of rudolph for the next two weeks.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, it helps.

Milo is offline Junior Member

Baking soda! Rinse your face, sprinkle a little baking soda onto your fingers, massage into skin, and rinse off. Follow up with witch hazel or apple cider vinegar poured onto a cotton ball as a toner. Finish up with a little coconut oil to moisturize. Works for me!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

@JustinKN If you're exfoliating properly there should be no "scraping" involved. You just need to do it very gently for about 30 seconds. I have very sensitive skin and I never get any redness. If you're worried about chemicals, try using some very finely milled salt or oats. Another thing that would really help is to get a flannel face cloth and use that. It would provide very gentle exfoliation.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification stoneage. Do you use the flannel face cloth dry or with water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast