Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment of Blackheads (I know, I hate the word too) page 2

JamieBelle is offline Member

I've been using ProActiv products (the face wash/scrub and repairing lotion) twice a day every day for the last 4 years. It helps a lot. My skin became a lot more prone to breakouts after I had my son....prior to that I basically had perfect skin. This stuff really works for me, but my skin isn't as sensitive as yours sounds. They do have products for sensitive skin, too.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

JustinKN- I use it with warm water and a little cleanser.

Rozsa Guest

I've found washing my face with castor oil every other day works really well, to clarify: a 1/4-3/4 mix of castor oil & carrier oil (almond, sunflower, macadamia, jojoba, anything neutral that won't spoil unrefrigerated)

Just massage a bit in for a few minutes, wipe off with a warm washcloth a few times.

Seems to de-schmutz much more gently than stripping facewash like Proactiv (used it for 1 year) or mainstream face cleanser, oil-free, exfoliating,or otherwise.

klcarbaugh Guest

I have this problem too. Maybe a clay mask?

I want to try the castor oil thing, also. I have heard form multiple people that it pulls out impurities. What is castor oil (where does it come from)? What makes it so special?

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

An aspirin mask also works wonders. Crush up aspirin into a paste and smooth onto face.

Rozsa Guest

klcarbaugh-

I'm not sure, but it really works if you tweak the ratio to fit your skin type, too much castor oil and it can be a bit drying. Here's the site, they're not selling anything, just an overview: theoilcleansingmethod.com

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I have to say the castor oil thing didn't work for me overall - skin was still gungy/mucky. BUT it was much better than harsh products - previously I was using Clinique's "problem skin" range and my god it was awful, I wound up allergic to it.

I now use Aveda and it's pretty good.

But I have underlying issues causing bad skin so.....

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Is it necessary to use castor oil with the cleansing method? I tried using straight-up coconut oil, but started breaking out after a few weeks. I thought it was correlated to more red meat (hormones?) in my diet, but then I read an article that CO for skin isn't always the best option since the pH isn't right and messes with the oil glands. (Although my skin was much softer!) I've swapped it for EVOO, but I don't mix it with anything..I have an oily/combination skin type..

Rozsa Guest

My understanding of the whole oil cleansing thing was that the castor oil acts astringent, antiinflammatory, antibacterial and the oil creates a thin film left on the skin after washing that acts as a protective barrier, mimicking sebum, that the skin slowly absorbs. I guess coconut oil might have just been too thick and waxy? If you try again maybe go with something thinner and more like sebum like almond, macadamia, sesame, sunflower...

All I know is this works really well for me, I've only been doing it like, a month or two, but my face never gets shiny midday or dry in the heat.. just balanced.

eurodod is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've used the blackhead remover strips, made by Biore I think. I have tried 2 different ones and they both worked for me. You wet them, apply to a clean face, then when they dry, you remove them. They pull the blackhead out. Like I said, they worked for me. Both on my nose and chin....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast