Thread: help pls with vit and bloodwork {supplements} page

honeybee is offline Junior Member

help pls with vit d and bloodwork {supplements}

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, been eating primal for awhile,although the last 2 months i have benn eating an enormous amount of chocolate{talking lots !!}but no wheat untill the last two weeks i have been eating wheat.I was feeling great ,looking much better,my main symtoms that bothered me me went ie: water retention especially fingers,breast,face and bloating. I am not overly overweight, i currently weigh 63.5 kilos..,a month ago i was 61.5 kilos. height 160cm. female 31 years olds , 3 kids.

when i eat primal i feel energetic, light, appetite diminishes and generally more happy with everything.
    the chocolate seems to come in when i am stressed or feeling down,and then sort of spirals out of control day after day.

i am taking no supplements and no exercise except lots of walking.

anyway, will be getting back on track but what i was hoping to be helped with is,

i went to the doctor for thyroid testing, vit d test and she did some others.
    got them back today.

sodium 140mmol/L {136- 145}
    potassium 4.2 mmol/L {3.5- 5.1}
    urea 2.7mmol/L {2.1- 7.1}
    creatinine 69unol/L {53 - 97}
    glucose 4.5MMOL/l {4.1 -- 5.9}

bilirubin 7umol/L {5 - 21}
    cholesterol 4.6 mmol/L { 5.0}
    triglycerides 0.7 mmol/L {0.0 - 2.8}
    HDL cholesterol 1.43 mmol/L {0.88 - 2.36}
    LDL cholesterol 2.85 mmol/L
    VITAMIN B12 306 ng/L {120 --1000}
    FOLATE 8.2ug/L {1.8 - 20.0}

TSH 2.64 mu/L {0.35 - 5.50}

VITAMIN D L 21.1 nmol/L {50.0 - 150.0}

AND THEN WAS HAEMATOLOGY ? don,t know if tha is relevent?
    doc didnt say anything except perscription for calcium carbonate + colecalciferol fc tab

pls help me with info on blood work ,as for supplementing, by the end of this year i will be emigrating
    to north africa so i am not sure what will be available or affordable out there so don,t want to start something i can,t maintain. i live in the uk now.

thankyou for reading.
    Last edited by honeybee; 04-20-2011 at 06:28 AM.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I can tell you is that TSH is NOT an adequate thyroid test. It's a measure of how much your pituitary needs to stimulate the thyroid to produce its hormones, but it should not be used in isolation. The doctor should have also checked your actual thyroid levels of T4 and T3.

The TSH will vary by individuals, and anything under 3.0 is normally considered OK. However, most endos would treat someone who had a TSH over 2.0 if the person had symptoms of hypothyroid. Again, they'd also want to see the T4 and T3 levels.

If your "symptoms" go away with primal eating, then I'd guess you don't have any problems--except that you need to focus on eating primal!

thankyou for your reply. on the test she said she was going to test T3 and T4 but i cant find it on the results anywhere unless its written under something different? I will need to call her myself as i just collected the results from the receptionist!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D of 21 nmol/L is ridiculously low. Should be more like 150. Glucose and lipids are good
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

i am currently reading through the vit d thread trying to see how to start supplementing ,at what dose, which make and most cost effective! i have no idea if i would find vit supplements in north africa, but should i start supplementing anyway? i think the kids are surely vit d low aswell.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    i have no idea if i would find vit supplements in north africa, but should i start supplementing anyway?
    Erh, you live in north africa and have problems getting enough sunshine on your body? No offense meant, I am just curious.

At those latitudes you should be able to get sufficient levels of Vit D by staying out in the sun riiiiight up to the point that you're getting burnt. Full body exposure 30 minutes at midday, as far as your level of modesty will allow you. If your level of modesty is that you need to cover up your whole body with clothes you should supplement.

Another co-factor you should consider is getting enough magnesium in your tissue. If you experience leg cramping, restless legs your are most likely deficient in magnesium. People with rickets have been untreated with Vit D until they got their magnesium levels sorted.

I order my Vit D from The Big Vit Shop |Healthy Origins,Vitamin D-3, 10,000iu x 120 Softgels

As a general rule of thumb 1000 IE per 25 lbs of bodyweight until you measure sufficient levels, then cut back down to 2 - 4000 IE. Then test, test and retest. Don't supplement the days you get enough sunlight.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    The only thing I can tell you is that TSH is NOT an adequate thyroid test. It's a measure of how much your pituitary needs to stimulate the thyroid to produce its hormones, but it should not be used in isolation. The doctor should have also checked your actual thyroid levels of T4 and T3.

The TSH will vary by individuals, and anything under 3.0 is normally considered OK. However, most endos would treat someone who had a TSH over 2.0 if the person had symptoms of hypothyroid. Again, they'd also want to see the T4 and T3 levels.

If your "symptoms" go away with primal eating, then I'd guess you don't have any problems--except that you need to focus on eating primal!
    This is quite right. TSH testing is the outdated "CW" of endocrinology, a lot like "low fat" is for nutrition. If you can even get your doc to test for T3 and, if required, prescribe meds for T3, you are lucky.

I was unable to judge most of the numbers because I'm not familiar with the units. I'm probably not the only one reading that noticed this. You will get more opinions if you add the ranges so we known what is high/low and by how much.

Just a side note: My endo sets my thyroid meds based on T3, not TSH, and my thyroid is natural T3, not T4, or a T3/T4 mix.

thanx for the advice, well i don,t live in north africa , i live in the uk at the moment but will move to north africa at the end of the year. i am fully covered as in a muslim women ,hands and face not covered. But when we move to north africa we will have accomadation that is not overlooked and i will be able to go into the garden uncovered.

i will add what is high/low....