Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was hoping for bigger muscle gains! page

tommyho1 is offline Member

I was hoping for bigger muscle gains!

Shop Now
    hey,

so this is my first post. i have been reading a lot about going primal etc and i have been giving it a go for the last 2 months.

i go to the gym 3 times a week to lift some weights, i do a sprint session once a week and then other aerobic stuff including playing soccer, hiking etc.

my diet usually consists of something like; 4 eggs, 100g nut butter, banana, few berries, whey protein, 200g tuna, salad, 200g chicken/pork/beef with green vegetables plus then maybe some primal energy bar.

i have to say, i feel a little healthier and better inside and i get less fluctuations in my levels of tiredness throughout the day.

my only problem is, as a skinny guy, i am trying to bulk up (whilst also being healthy). last year i went from 162lb to 173lb in 10 months. in the last two months i have only been able to increase by about 2 pounds.

does anybody have any advice on how i can increase my rate of muscle growth?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavier, eat more.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    You really have to eat like a motherf-----r to put on muscle, and you'll have to ramp up your carb intake as well. That doesn't mean it has to be unhealthy carbs, grains, sugars or whatever. I would drop your gym days down to two a week. Concentrate on big, heavy moves like squats, dead-lifts, bench-press, rows, etc. Forget the little isolation things like triceps press and whatnot. But most importantly, eat like a pig. Just like more well-padded individuals are accustomed to eating a large amount of calories, and often underestimate the reduction required to lose weight, slim people have a body that is accustomed to eating relatively few calories and almost always underestimate the huge calorie increase required to get bigger.

In the end, if you're not putting on weight, you're not eating enough. That is obviously an over-simplified version of exactly what's going on, but it's still a fact.

edit: the grumpy one has basically summed up what I said in 4 words. So you can take his advice or mine, pick one.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    You gotta lift way heavier.

tommyho1 is offline Member
    ok so i understand i need to eat more - but do you think the proportions of what i am eating are correct? or should i have more emphasis on a certain food type?

i think it is the food that is the major thing because when im at the gym i am lifting pretty heavy. i hit 5x5s on major compound exercises and then after these i will do 2 or 3 exercises on a certain muscle group to really blast them.

so im guessing food is what i need to increase.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyho1 View Post
    does anybody have any advice on how i can increase my rate of muscle growth?
    Get better genes.

ok so i understand i need to eat more - but do you think the proportions of what i am eating are correct? or should i have more emphasis on a certain food type?
    http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com...you-store.html
    http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com...-to-be-in.html
    Last edited by js290; 04-19-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Demize is offline Member
    Not sure if you have read this one yet, it answers your question fairly generally, but it is a good read:
    How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple
    and its done in the context of primal blueprint!!!

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Well I already gave you my opinion there...

nidalee is offline Junior Member
    4 eggs? I eat way more and I only train strength 2 times a week and sprint once. Just eat more and don't stress about exactly what you eat (unless its primal ofc)..

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    ...and drop the aerobic stuff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast